• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Death. Replacement required urgently. HELP!

Quetzalcoatl

Hi everyone.

My trusty G6 has finally give up the ghost at the worst possible time. I've just rescaped my tank and flooded it and after reconnecting the filter it's leaking water.

I'm on a mission today to find a replacement before all my hard work is undone (and money wasted). My mind is made up on Eheim as I've run them in the past and have been happy with their performance but what size would best suit a Signature 600 (600x450x300)?

Would the Pro4 600 be too powerful? Would the Pro3 2073 not be powerful enough? Help guys!!

I'm in Cheshire so south Manchester, North Staffs is best if anyone knows a decent stockist also.

Eheim has discontinued the Pro 3 range - replaced with the Pro 4 - parts seems to be mostly interchangeable (thankfully! as I just bought 2 of the Pro 3 250's a year ago, bought a 4 version at the Boxing Day sale but haven't installed it yet).

I run a Pro 3 250 on a 60 x 45 x 55(H) tank & it has more than enough flow, I've the same filter on a 90 x 45 x 55(H) & it does OK when kept meticulously clean & minimal hardscape

You can reduce the flow on 600 if needed but I'm not sure that I'd run the filter longterm on this setting (& expect no hardware impact)
I found the filter height difference made it unwieldly in my cabinet - I'd prefer 2 x 250 on the 90cm tank

I've had my issues with Eheim Customer (non)Service (spent a couple weeks playing round the garden with german tech support before giving up in frustration) so I suggest purchasing from a shop that will assist in case of any warranty issues (mine were about replacement parts for my Professional 2 series filters - between shipping & the usual (inflated) part costs - it was going to cost nearly as much to refurbish my old filters as to buy new Pro 3's AND not all parts were still available).
Shop where I purchased my Eheims sells other filters as well, but more Eheims than any other brand & warranty issues are very uncommon (shop will just replace filter from stock for any issues within the warranty period)

Commiserations on the leaky filter :sorry:

The Pro 4 600 is just a bit more powerful than 2073 (1250 vs 1050 LPH, same 16 watt, same 1.8m pump head spec), it is probably not too powerful if you're afraid 2073 is not powerful enough.

I think the main difference between the two is filter media volume. But Pro 3 (only bad batch?) has a bad reputation about leaking.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/eheim-pro-3-worst-eheim-ever.31642/

By the way, for a 81-litre tank, I think even a Pro 4 250 will do just fine. George Farmer uses just a G3 for his 80-litre tank. But since you were using the G6 with that tank, so it looks like you like extra flow.

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I frantically researched options this morning and then ended up driving over to my nearest Eheim stockist. In the end I opted for the Pro4 600. The G6 was rated for 600ltr so figured it was kind of a like for like swap.

It's been running for a few hours now and I'm really impressed so far. Noticeably quieter, a million times easier to prime but most importantly confidence that the thing will not leak.

It's currently running at around 50% flow but after my Cuba gets a hold I'll crank it up. I'm using a Koralia nano in addition to help move the water so hopefully this will work for me.

Back