• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter for roma 200

mikey101

Hi just got a roma 200 as a gift and looking for a external filter was looking at the fluval 407 or fx2 anyone have any experience with using these in this tank or any other suggestion of what filter to go for. Thanks

Hi, never used fluval filters but read good things about the fx series. I’ve always used oase filters and found them to be brilliant bits of kit, never had any issues on the ones I’ve owned and the pre-filter makes maintenance a lot easier, you can go weeks/months without taking the whole thing apart to do a clean. Heater also goes inside filter so less clutter inside the tank

Like Jason above, I have a Oase Thermo Biofilter; the 600 in my case, on an Aquael 240 litre tank. Like him, I find it very convenient, keeping the heater out of the tank, and its prefilter works very well.

Having said that, the other two main makes, Eheim and Fluval, have produced excellent canisters for years. My experiences with those 2 makes, and with Tetratec, have been very positive. In addition, Aquael are a highly-regarded aquatics firm on the continent (they're Polish in origin), so you are spoilt for choice! If you're new to fishkeeping, and you have a reliable local shop, it's worth spending the extra to buy via them, so they can advise you on setting it up.

@mikey101 - How much space do you have in the cabinet for a filter? Can you tell us the total H x W x L that would accommodate a filter?

Max height in cabinet is 595mm width of door opening is 380mm and depth to back of cabinet 360mm (depth to internal shelf 220mm.

Both the Fx2 and 407 will fit into the cabinet, albeit with a slight bend to the pipes on the 407.
Don't have experience with the Fx2 but can highly recommend the 407.
If you do decide to go with Fx2 be aware they use the oversized 1" pipes, not the standard 16/22 that most filters operate.

Picture of how the 407 fits in cabinet. This is a 240 Roma but cabinet door opening size is the same on a 200.
69eab2efc946c8eab80c308160dc1ba2.0.jpg
e74d3c34710318f4d382c3a3d1e8762e.0.jpg

Personally for ease of use I would choose Oase Biomaster series or Aquael Ultramaxx series, both are excellent, whisper quiet and have easy to clean pre-filters, I have had both.
I have used the Fluval FX6 and cannot fault it at all, brilliant filter but I found it a faff to clean.
I used to use Eheim religiously but have gone downhill drastically,cheap flimsy materials, poor quality build, not what Eheim used to stand for.

Max height in cabinet is 595mm width of door opening is 380mm and depth to back of cabinet 360mm (depth to internal shelf 220mm.
I am so jealous! Mine is only 480mm H by 290mm W. It is SO limiting to what I can have in there.

I'd love to trial the 407 or the FX series, but there is just nowhere I can fit it into my aquarium cabinet. 🥲

Back