• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drilling holes in Eheim spray bar

Sacha

I need to drill some holes in my Eheim 16/22 spray bar, because the flow coming through the filter is too powerful as it is. I actually have it attached to an internal Juwel 1000 lph filter, and not the Eheim external.

So, what's the easiest way to drill a few more holes in the spray bar?

Please, treat me like the halfwit that I am.

And let the drill bit cool down after each hole, otherwise after a few you'll be melting the plastic instead of cutting it.
I have to agree with Big Clown, it's easier to enlarge the existing holes, especially if you're limited in equipment or skills. :)

You could just enlarge the holes that are already there. That is what i did for my gourami gloamin as none of the fish like strong flow. I enlarged holes just by 1 mm but made quite a difference. It is alot easier than creating new holes.

opps just noticed everyone else already said this. Sorry.

I think you will find the Juwel pump heads are not very powerful when "blowing", as they are not designed to have anything on their outputs ie designed to output straight into tank. I made a test spray bar using a piece of 22mm (I think, Ebay anyway) PVC pipe on my 600l/hr Juwel pump head and the flow was seriously reduced, compared to the standard outlet, so much so I don't think the filter would function very well. You could try removing some of the media from the internal filter to see if you could get the flow rate up again.

The flow from the internal is way too powerful. It's more powerful than the external 1250 lph filter. That's why I want to reduce it. I could switch back to the 600 lph Juwel pump, but I would rather retain the extra power, but just disperse the flow.

You should be able to get a few pieces of similar pipe (green seethrough) like the original and use those to get to where you want to be, even make it larger in size. Here in the Netherlands all LFS have them, just see if you like a lot of small holes or a few large ones. Lay the tube between 2 pieces of wood so it wont budge, mark and drill.

I did the same thing a few weeks back, the plastic of the spray bar is actually very soft. Very easy to drill. Took me 30 seconds to finish all the holes.

I worked out what the current hole size was by using a drill bit placed in it and then chose the next drill bit size up, drilled and tested back on the tank. In the end I went up 2 drill bit size and the flow is perfect.

Back