• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Different types of dwarf hairgrass

johnnyw8

Seedling
hi

i was just wondering what the difference is if any between the eleocharis parvula dwarf hairgrass and the Eleocharis acicularis. without realizing ive bought both types.

Eleocharis acicularis is already in my tank growing ok ish, and i was just wondering would there be any noticeable different in the two if i put the two together to create a nice carpet.

thanks alot for your help :)

It depends a little on wat you mean, saying "dwarf".
E. parvula and E. acicularis are not the same.........and the E. 'mini' is yet another type, lower growing than the first two.
I tested about 10 different "dwarf,mini,bonzai,baby.....whatever" types of Eleocharis, some years ago - only one variety prooved to stay real low, when grown under water for a longer time. All others grew taller, as time passed.
Grown emergent, you will not be able to tell the difference between E. parvula and E. 'mini', by the way. Looks totally alike!!
- by mixing different types, you can achieve an interesting and decorative effect, since the hight of straws are so different.
Mick.

Back