• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bialix's home tank - not blackwater anymore

I'd like to start new thread to tell you about my home tank. Currently I re-arranged it from planted tank to kind-of-blackwater South America biotope-like tank for amapa tetra. Maybe I'll add some golden pencilfish (n.beckfordi) there later.
I should say I'm very impressed and motivated by great black-water journals here on ukaps, and different low-tech great journals, like poco pozo or bucke o mud, so I've finally decided to add mine to blackwater club :) And also I have many questions about specifics of blackwater tank.
Disclaimer: I'd like to try a little different format for this journal: put only summary and recent photo to first post and also put to first post navigation to the events in journal. Let's see if this will be good or helpful for readers.

Navigation:
Fish:
Tank specification:
  • 60x30x36cm optiwhite, water volume usually about 50L;
  • 1*24W Osram 840
  • Aquael Pat Mini filter, spraybar;
  • Heater;
  • Air pump aPump.
Recent photo:
2015/03/23 - 12 weeks

16722950160_eb8c2057f3.jpg60x30x36 - 12 weeks by bialix1, on Flickr

Last edited:
2015/01/31 - 1 month - fish are in!

So, the tank is 1 month old, I've cycled it with Alastair recipe without any fish. I'm sorry for not explaining it earlier, too much work.
So, now I think the tank is ready for fish, all parameters are stabilized.
Yesterday I've put the fish - amapa tetra - in the tank, and they very quickly adapted to black water. This morning I saw something like spawning activity, not sure yet.

Picture:
16232914849_24100544bc_z.jpg60x30x36 - 33 days - fish are in by bialix1, on Flickr

And shaky video (sorry no spawning, just fish):

Fish seem to be quite active. I changed the filter outflow to use spray bar to reduce the flow speed, and it seems my fish like it that way.

Due to uncertainity and total depression, crysis and ongoing armed conflict in my country, I no more run it as blackwater tank. The wood is out. Simple home tank. Sorry guys.
Also, the wood was too huge for this tank, as result I was unable to clean detrius from the sand, and it became very dirty.

16820788336_fa300a3e3f.jpgIMG_2260 by bialix1, on Flickr

Now it's a bit better.

16845583772_6e449c6984.jpgNot so black water anymore :-/ by bialix1, on Flickr

Whats the black and pink tetra Alexander? Ive never seen it before.
Youve got some harder plants in there. Itll be interesting to see how they evolve w/o CO2.

Very cool!

I see you mentioned before but I missed it thinkinking they were glo light tetras.

Back