• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Background Crypts Struggling...

JAX3000

Hi,

After all my stem background plants got spindly and ugly and outgrew the tank every few days, I decided to go for a more leafy, lower maintenence background option.

I started again and planted a combination of Echinodorus Bleheri and Cryptocoryne Balansae across the back, thinking they'll pretty much reach the surface and stop there of their own accord (being a 60cm deep tank). What's happened is the swords have shot up to about 40-50cm leaving the crypts in their shadows at about 10cm max...!

I don't think the crypts have really grown much at all, which is ok if I'm just waiting for them to finally get there, but my concern is that with all the patience in the world from me, they're never gonna catch up as their light is being reduced by the swords.

Do I (as I believe I should) trim the large sword leaves back to create more light down at the sand where the crypts are so they can get cracking, knowing the swords will then grow new leaves anyway?

Or do I just sit and wait.... and wait, and wait....? (Which is fine...)

Or "other"?

Thanks

Hi
Crypts are one of the slower growing plants.
Remove the leaves from the Amazon swords just like you would removing the skin off a banana!
This will give your crypts more light and encourage faster growth!
Cheers
hoggie

Back