• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton crispis flowering profusely

mort

I have an aponogeton crispis that is still very young, was bought earlier this year as a bulb you could barely see, and over the last couple of months it has has 7 large flowering spikes and is sending a couple more up as we speak. I know they can be monster plants but is this many for a small plant normal? I'm guessing it probably is but is it a detriment to the longevity of it? I don't mind if it burns bright but fast as they are a nice extra and I can easily buy another.

TIA

Apon. crispus cover some variation in specie - but most are very frequent flowering.....some, like yours, allmost to the extreeme. This abundance of flowers will ofcourse "steal" some energy from general growth of the plant, but if parametres suit the plant this is not really a problem - it will grow very well anyway. Apon. crispus as a species do not have very big "bulb", bit will grow effective roots fast, to gather nutrients. It will benefitva lot from extra fertilisation at roots (=root tabs).
Should you feel that flowering take too much energy, just remove some flower-stems - it will not hurt the plant.
Even better; remove the flower-stems right after flowering have ended (=colour fade to green) because Apon. crispus is VERY good at producing offspring on these flower-stems.....and this in particular takes energy.
The offspring is usually very fertile. They will detach, when ready, float around for a short time and then sink to bottom of tank. Here it will produce roots, anchoring into substrate and immidiately after start growing leaves.

Uuhhhh - almost forgot; try stick your nose close to he flowers........Apon. crispus is usually mildly but pleasant scented.......:happy:

Back