• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Murdannia Keisak help, yellowing old leaves with small holes

Aqua Hero

I've only had this stem plant for a few days and it's the only plant that's showing signs of struggle.

The older leaves are yellowing and the new leaves are green but have small black holes. (Holes are also on the old leaves as well).

Other plants such as Java fern, anubias, monte carlo, hygrophila pinnatifida, Vallisneria nana etc are all showing green healthy growth.

Is this a sign of Nitrogen and potassium deficiency? I haven't started dosing ferts yet (taking advice that I shouldn't dose for the first 2-3 weeks) but considering changing this and start doing a complete fert that includes Marcos if this is the cause.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the bad quality
4c3eaf16361c7f3d294978fe7ab6fa08.jpg
a7805acbb637d38b3a3d10c0add43adb.jpg

1. 25L 40cmx25cmx25cm
2. Tank's been running for a week with plants
3. Don't have information about all parameters yet until my test kit arrives tomorrow but the last time I tested my water at petsathome, which as about 4 days ago, the results were:
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 8ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
4. Aquaclear 20
5. Chihiros A401 8hrs daily at 50%
6. Base layer: lava rock, Mid layer: Tropica Substrate, Top Layer: Tropica Aquasoil
7. Co2 dosing 2hrs before lights on
8. Drop Checker: Deep Green when lighta are on
9. Just started dosing ferts today. Using EI Method. Alternating 3 days between Macros and Micros
10. 1st week daily 50% waters changes, 2nd week 2 day 50% Water changes etc
11. Plant list:
Salvinia natans
Microsorum pteropus trident
Anubias bonsai
Hygrophilia pinnatifida
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Bolbitis Heteroclita Difformis
Pogostemon helferi
Micranthemum monte carlo
Eriocaulon cinereum
Vallisneria Nana
Murdannia keisak
Weeping moss
Dwarf hairgrass
Some terrestrial house plants in a breeder box, Substrate: Fluval Stratum
12. Inhabitants: 20x Malaysian trumpet snails
ae268b89a35463219bef7ba888025028.jpg
31263056d4c33e4fa555a94162017e46.jpg

Hi all,
The older leaves are yellowing and the new leaves are green but have small black holes.
I think a lot of the issue is just because it is <"Murdannia keisak"> and <"doesn't really like being underwater"> - <"Murdannia Keisak Struggling">.

This belongs to the category of plant that <"will survive underwater">, but isn't really suitable for long term aquarium cultivation. These are plants that suit the production schedule of the companies that produce them, but after that .............

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think a lot of the issue is just because it is /www.aquasabi.com/Murdannia-keisak']Murdannia keisak[/URL]"> and /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/murdannia-keisak-struggling.62109/#post-612452']doesn't really like being underwater[/URL]"> - /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/murdannia-keisak-struggling.62109/']Murdannia Keisak Struggling[/URL]">.

This belongs to the category of plant that /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/holes-in-leaves.61746/#post-738726']will survive underwater[/URL]">, but isn't really suitable for long term aquarium cultivation. These are plants that suit the production schedule of the companies that produce them, but after that .............

cheers Darrel
Damn that's really annoying that these companies mis label these plants. What a waste of money. Guess I'll have to replace it

Hi all,
If it gets above the surface it will be fine (but probably lose all of its submerged leaves) <"marsh dewflower (Murdannia keisak)">, you could try floating it? <"Using stem plants as a filtering aid at Start Up!">.
Damn that's really annoying that these companies mis label these plants.
I think the problem is that the companies that produce "aquarium plants", and the hobbiests who buy them , generally don't care if they are suitable for long term growth under water, they are looking at them much more like cut flowers.

The companies will tell you that they produce (and people buy) plants with <"shelf appeal"> and when it dies the punter is happy to replace it with another, visually appealing, plant.

It is <"find a product, create a demand, pocket the money">.

<"Plants as decoration"> is an approach we have to fight against, but it is an uphill battle, because companies like Tropica <"plant details - Tropica Aquarium Plants"> (and <"I'm not picking on Tropica">, the are a company I'm happy to deal with, but they all have the same business model) and aren't really interested in producing, or selling, obligate aquatic plants.

The factors that make these good long term aquarium plants are also the factors that mitigate against their commercial production, they need to kept underwater, so you can't retail them in blister packs, they need to be produced underwater, which adds cost and complexity to their production, you don't get <"repeat sales"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
If it gets above the surface it will be fine (but probably lose all of its submerged leaves) /www.inaturalist.org/observations/209070013']marsh dewflower (Murdannia keisak)[/URL]">, you could try floating it? /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/using-stem-plants-as-a-filtering-aid-at-start-up.62966/']Using stem plants as a filtering aid at Start Up![/URL]">.

I think the problem is that the companies that produce "aquarium plants", and the hobbiests who buy them , generally don't care if they are suitable for long term growth under water, they are looking at them much more like cut flowers.

The companies will tell you that they produce (and people buy) plants with /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/blyxa-aubertii-why-can%E2%80%99t-i-find-it-for-sale-in-the-uk.63425/#post-626136']shelf appeal[/URL]"> and when it dies the punter is happy to replace it with another visually appealing plant.

It is /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/seachem-method-of-potassium-dosing.73379/#post-739264']find a product, create a demand, pocket the money[/URL]">.

/www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/im-new-here-so-decided-to-introduce-myself.72182/#post-725105']Plants as decoration[/URL]"> is an approach we have to fight against, but it is an uphill battle, because companies like Tropica (and I'm not picking on Tropica, they all have the same business model) aren't really interested in producing, or selling, obligate aquatic plants.

The factors that make these good long term aquarium plants are also the factors that mitigate against their commercial production, they need to kept underwater, so you can't retail them in blister packs, they need to be produced underwater, which adds cost and complexity to their production, you don't get /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/na-style-ada-60p.67624/page-2#post-689347']repeat sales[/URL]"> etc.

cheers Darrel
I see. No worries then. Since I do like the emersed effect on these planted tanks all just let it grow out then

Hi all,
Since I do like the emersed effect on these planted tanks all just let it grow out then
It should have a little pink "Tradescantia" flower <"marsh dewflower (Murdannia keisak)">.

It is described as an annual, so I assume flowering initiates plant death (looks likely from the plant below), that is definitely what happens in Commelina communis, which is similar <"Stomatal opening and closing in Commelina communis - Science & Plants for Schools">.

large.jpg

It is apparently an "invasive alien" in the SE of USA <"Murdannia keisak (Asian Spiderwort, Marsh Dewflower) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox">.
..... sprout roots at nodes, and can form large mats. ........ and water-borne plant fragments that take over habitats from native plants. It is difficult to control because it establishes large seedbanks and pulled plants can quickly regenerate from small pieces left behind ......
So ideal as a plant to propagate for nurseries.

There are a number of these <"Commelinaceae - Wikipedia"> plants with similar growth forms as <"semi-aquatic emergent plants"> - <"Floscopa cf. scandens"> - <"Aquatic Flower Compendium (ish)">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back