• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone had problems introducing otocinclus

I obviously purchased mine, but having heard horror stories from quite a few people, I am not sure that I would purchase more, bearing in mind the reported survival rate
Likewise, or, I'd take more care on where I purchase them from and look at they're conditions and ask what they've been fed on etc!

Likewise, or, I'd take more care on where I purchase them from and look at they're conditions and ask what they've been fed on etc!
Good advice above and I also think that it is beneficial to take some time acclimating these initially fragile fish, your LFS may be using the same tapwater but I can well imagine it containing a lot of other compounds that are raising the TDS. I also think they stand more of a chance being kept in soft water.

Well, I guess the moral of this little story is they are not such an easy fish to care for!
I think to a certain extent that is true.
I've been miss sold fish that were too young before or just arrived in store. I'm guessing Otto's are high on that list

As a side note, if it's a tank janitor your after I would look out for some snails. They are incredible.

I think to a certain extent that is true.
I've been miss sold fish that were too young before or just arrived in store. I'm guessing Otto's are high on that list

As a side note, if it's a tank janitor your after I would look out for some snails. They are incredible.
I do have one nerite (was 3 but lost 2 early on due to poor acclimatization) and 4 amanos!

On a side note I do have a tiny bit of cyano bacteria could that be a problem?

I've been miss sold fish that were too young before or just arrived in store.
I think this is very good point.

My LFS has known me since my reintroduction to fish keeping - and they know that I don’t have quarantine. They are quite careful to show me fish which have been quarantined, and then on display for a while. It’s not an exact art, but it has helped me keep my fish alive. 10 Green Neon Rasboras were taken home - 10 alive after 6 weeks. I can’t blame them now if they die.

I wouldn’t say that otto’s are hardy, they are rather delicate imho especially for the initial few weeks
I have heard it said by people, that due to the losses of these fish, that they wouldn’t purchase them
I have a few, they are fantastic fish, but can be problematic
They are delicate for you. We get them from our own back yard in Argentina, and they are indestructible. Since they are barely a day's journey away, they are usually in pretty good condition. I think that goes to show it's just a traveling issue. Yours undergo a long process, and they end up half dead.

Sorry to hear about your Oto problems. My tank has been running for a couple of months now. I introduced 4 Otos after a month or so. Saw them all the time, until I did some more planting, which they obviously really didn't like. I then added two more. I often see two out and about, but have never seen all 6 together. I think they come out and feed at night, as cucumber, celery, courgette, spinach etc are often well eaten by the following morning.

Hopefully yours will stabilise. As mentioned above, snails are superb. I now have a very healthy breeding population of Ramshorns and they do a fantastic job, along with the Red Cherries.

I do have one nerite (was 3 but lost 2 early on due to poor acclimatization) and 4 amanos!

On a side note I do have a tiny bit of cyano bacteria could that be a problem?
I would also, whilst we are here, take a step back and look at your aquarium, filtration, readings etc and just check that everything is good.

I would also, whilst we are here, take a step back and look at your aquarium, filtration, readings etc and just check that everything is good.
I mentioned in the OP I checked params and all well within acceptable margins. I do keep koi and have done for several years so am familiar with water testing. Now, i guess my ph could be considered on the highish side at 7.5 but I've seen conflicting information about this so forgive me if I'm wrong.

As for my filter it's probably being stretched to max as it is only the internal filter the tank came with.

As for my filter it's probably being stretched to max as it is only the internal filter the tank came with.
What’s the filter, and what is the media inside. If you would not mind sending a piccy of the aquarium as well that would be helpful.

My experience with them is that when they are recently added to the tank they swim around a lot, but after a while they become invisible. When I rebuilt my tank a good while ago, I was surprised to find many otos still alive, otos that I hadn't seen in so long that I assumed they all died.
Same here... In a densely planted tank they do tend to be extremely stealthy.... I have (had) 4 in one tank... it can literally be weeks between I see any of them. Not too long ago I saw 2 during WC. I am still hopeful that I have all 4, but I have nothing to clinch that hope on. They used to come out when I would feed the shrimps algae wafters and zucchinis, and occasionally one or two will, but its very rare these days. I think they have just become super shy with age and in the back of the tank where I stash the botanicals they have plenty of food (biofilm) to munch on, so they just don't have a reason to come out and say hello to me :) ... also worth keeping in mind is their live expectancy. Under ideal conditions its probably no more than 4-5 years.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Oto problems. My tank has been running for a couple of months now. I introduced 4 Otos after a month or so. Saw them all the time, until I did some more planting, which they obviously really didn't like. I then added two more. I often see two out and about, but have never seen all 6 together. I think they come out and feed at night, as cucumber, celery, courgette, spinach etc are often well eaten by the following morning.

Hopefully yours will stabilise. As mentioned above, snails are superb. I now have a very healthy breeding population of Ramshorns and they do a fantastic job, along with the Red Cherries.
How do you feed your cucumber etc? I soaked some in boiled water for 10 minute but still had to weigh it down with a stone to get it to sink!

My ottos were quite outgoing, buzzing around the tank. They slowed down a little as they got older but I still had them for a good four years.
I called one of them Odd Eye as it had one eye bigger than the other! 🤪 That one lived the longest.
I didn't bother blanching cucumber, it goes soft very quickly in the warm tank water. You can slide pieces on to a bamboo skewer & wedge it between the hardscape. Or for more leafy greens I used a JBL food clip, it sticks to the glass with a sucker.

Here's a couple of snaps I've just taken of the remaining oto's and as you can see one of them looks a bit red around the eye. Of the four remaining 2 look fairly healthy and the other 2 not so but they do perk up occasionally they appear to be still with clamped fins quite often.

A bonus shot of one of my huge berries amanos!

Attachments

• PXL_20240328_185552783.jpg
    PXL_20240328_185552783.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240328_185151527.jpg
    PXL_20240328_185151527.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240327_193851656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240327_193851656.MP.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20240324_154124147.jpg
    PXL_20240324_154124147.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
How do you feed your cucumber etc? I soaked some in boiled water for 10 minute but still had to weigh it down
For solid veg just slide a small fork (children's forks are ideal) through the tough skin, have the points of the fork pointing downwards.
20240207_184835.jpg

Don't bother boiling or blanching, rinse the veg and put them in the tank, they'll naturally soften up within a few hours.

Not always practical but if possible never buy these types of fish the minute they appear in the shops, try and wait at least a couple of weeks and then view them in the shop tanks. A decent shop will have them feeding and gaining weight, any shops selling a tank full of emaciated specimens after a couple of weeks should be given a wide berth.

Last edited:
Don't bother boiling or blanching, rinse the veg and put them in the tank, they'll naturally soften up within a few hours.

I just throw the veggies in the microwave wrapped in a wet paper-towel for a quick whirl (10-15 secs) to soften them up and then put them in the tank... I like the fork approach, it also makes it easy to retrieve the leftovers I suppose. 👍

Cheers,
Michael

Always a good idea to add some botanicals like catappa leaves when introducing ottos and similar dwarf loricariids. They’ll feed off the bio film that is produced.

The issue is with these fish is that if they haven’t fed in the shop for some time then they’re too far gone by the time you get them home and won’t feed.
@Conort2 absolutely spot on mate

The additional problem with the dwarf loricariids as well is that I've always found them to look relatively well even if they haven't eaten in a while. You then get them home and within 72 hours they start dropping like flies

Here's a couple of snaps I've just taken of the remaining oto's and as you can see one of them looks a bit red around the eye. Of the four remaining 2 look fairly healthy and the other 2 not so but they do perk up occasionally they appear to be still with clamped fins quite often.

A bonus shot of one of my huge berries amanos!
If I’m honest some of those fish shown look too far gone and I’ll be surprised if they make it. They look to be in very poor condition.

Back