• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic soil types

Dan1984

Hi everyone, just joined, from Stafford and happy to be here, I'm currently in the process of converting my African Cichlid tank to a South American tank, the water is now reasonably soft and a few of the fish are in. What I'm after is some advice on which aquatic soil to use, I've only ever used normal potting soil before, which is fine but SO messy! I want to cap whatever I use with sand although quite large grain sand, so the soil needs to be quite fine. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Welcome. Are you planning to keep your fish in the tank whilst you add the new substrate? The new aquatic soil or substrate may leak ammonia and nitrites into the water. This will be detrimental to the fish. You will have to select a substrate that does not do that. Alternative you can rehome your fish whist the newly added substrate is cycled. Using your current filter with its bacteria will speed up the process.

Thanks for the reply Mike, yes I was planning on keeping the fish in. I had read about soils leaking ammonia and had planned to soak the soil in a spare tank doing daily water changes, until it had finished leaking. I also have a spare cycled filter if that will speed up the process

Welcome. Back in the day I just used moss peat capped with sand. It’s not a particularly good environmental choice these days. Check these out

Or you could just use sand in conjunction with root tabs and water column fertz dosing. Sand will accumulate solid organic matter over time and act like a sediment.

Sand, root tabs and ferts are the way I've gone before but never really had much success with plants they all just die eventually I assumed they were having trouble growing good roots through the sand

Hi all,
Sand, root tabs and ferts are the way I've gone before but never really had much success with plants they all just die eventually I assumed they were having trouble growing good roots through the sand
It won't have been the sand as such, see <"Maq's Substrate Experiment">, it will be a plant nutrition issue.

Because what happens in the substrate <"is a bit of an unknown">, there maybe <"processes occurring in the substrate"> that make nutrients available, but all plants can take in nutrients from the water column, which is why we can have aeroponics etc. <"Heated Propagator: An emersed growing experiment . . .">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back