• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with diy root tabs and osmocote

:confused:
are you just putting these straight in the substrate without making "clay balls" out of them?

Last edited:
I been using the Osmocote Flower and vegetable formula for a few year's now.
My tanks are soil based and I sprinkle the tiny pellet's on the glass or thin layer of soil before covering with more soil and then capping the soil.
Last month I re-dirted my 80 gal tank in this way and used about a half cup of the osmocote sprinkled on the bottom as mentioned,and then a half cup of Green sand soil amendment,followed by the soil, and capped it all with product safe-t -sorb.
Has only been three week's but the few cherry shrimp and a couple of old female swordtail's are doing fine along with the plant's (sword's,crypt's,anubia)
Agree with other's ,a little of the osmocote goes a long way and is maybe not for those who uproot or move plant's about frequently.

I started up my low tech tank completely inert with lava rock based substrate, some pockets of akadama/pumice mix and black gravel... And must say some plants (crypt sp.) realy had difficulty to get a foothold in it with water column fert only... I decided to help a bit with Laterite clay and peat pellets.. From that day on the plants did significantly better..

I bought the clay ready made in little balls (sold as Hobby laterite). But it's also sold as dry powder to mix your own. I do not know an UK lfs or laterite supplier.. But the one i can get it from sells French Red Clay in 100 gram bags.. This is also used in the beauty industry and sold as Red art clay.

essence of dog pee
Ureum.. :) and ammonia.. That's what the catle farmers collected from the cow pee, scratch the crystallized powder (pee residue) off the stable walls and use it as fert. :lurking:

Back