• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spray Bar Flow

I have had a similar issue and I will try to overcome it with one of these :angelic:
jebaocp25.jpg

Not sure if this is worth a new topic but it seems to fit in here just about right. (Not really sure it's the right forums either)

5x2x2 tank for Uaru, plenty of driftwood (Twisted Hazel) & a few good size pebbles on a JBL Manado base.
Plants are Echinodorus Bleheri & Anubias Barteri & ANUBIAS Lanceloto. (Hopefully they won't be to the Uaru's taste!:(:))
Lighting is TMC Grobeams so I can fine tune the lighting for the fish & plants if not eaten.
Filter is TetraTec EX 1200+.

My problem is too much flow across / down? the tank.
The spray bar is fitted across one 2ft end.
I want to keep the filter working at max flow if possible. Not sure that I need to though?

I've tried various angles for the spray bar outlets, straight down turns that end of the tank into a maelstrom!

Anybuddy have any thoughts on this before I drill bigger holes in the spray bar to relieve the force?

Not sure if this is worth a new topic but it seems to fit in here just about right. (Not really sure it's the right forums either)

5x2x2 tank for Uaru, plenty of driftwood (Twisted Hazel) & a few good size pebbles on a JBL Manado base.
Plants are Echinodorus Bleheri & Anubias Barteri & ANUBIAS Lanceloto. (Hopefully they won't be to the Uaru's taste!:(:))
Lighting is TMC Grobeams so I can fine tune the lighting for the fish & plants if not eaten.
Filter is TetraTec EX 1200+.

My problem is too much flow across / down? the tank.
The spray bar is fitted across one 2ft end.
I want to keep the filter working at max flow if possible. Not sure that I need to though?

I've tried various angles for the spray bar outlets, straight down turns that end of the tank into a maelstrom!

Anybuddy have any thoughts on this before I drill bigger holes in the spray bar to relieve the force?
Could you extend the spray bar and run it across the back wall of the tank facing forward ?

I had a similar problem with the Eheim extensions when I tried extending the spray bar along the back of my 240l. I solved it by making a DIY spray bar from acrylic and drilling much smaller holes than those in the Eheim extensions, which I think are far too large.

I had a similar problem with the Eheim extensions when I tried extending the spray bar along the back of my 240l. I solved it by making a DIY spray bar from acrylic and drilling much smaller holes than those in the Eheim extensions, which I think are far too large.

Would that not reduce the flow rate?
I'd thought of going with bigger holes!

The Uaru I have at present are only about 4/5cm but from experience they grow to 25/30cm with a mainly vegetable diet so I will need to keep the filter at full chat as they grow.

It's already been suggested, but have you tried the spraybar on the short side of the tank blowing the length? You don't need amounts of flow that make your fish cower in corners. You just need the flow to blow the water in the desired pattern. I am not sure what type of media you've got in your external but I'd suggest use medium sponges as mechanical media, not floss, and also put a sponge on the intake as a prefilter.
The solution is obviously a second external. It's a good idea, even for redundancy.

In my 5f tank I ran the spraybars both across the long and the short side at some stage. When I moved them on the short side I stuck them in a row of three spraybars one under the other and it did the job to blow all the way to the other side, around the driftwood there and move the gunk back to under the spraybars 5f distance back. There I had to siphon it from time to time but the point is, it didn't gather anywhere else.

When I had the spraybars along the length of the tank, all the gunk settled out the back across the whole length of the tank so it was difficult to reach. I don't normally siphon planted substrate but you do want to remove big bits and there's plenty over the years...

Back