• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ideas for a pre-filter

Paulus

Hi,

I have a nice pond with goldfish in it. i also have a Velda Cross-Flow Biofill filter on it.

0475ae259aaa93eafc084e2615830508.jpg

But the first chamber with japanese matting is always pretty dirty. Result is less flow inside the filter and a mess when cleaning :p

So i was thinking for a pre-filter. Because of the small space (and money) i can't use or buy a sieve they use on koi ponds. So i need something smaller to collect the dirt before the water reaches the filter.

here some DIY masters that made a pre-filter out of a simple bin/plastic box etc? or experience with the best results?

I am thinking of a simple plastic box with inside a plant basket and a bag. So the inlet is inside the box and outlet connected to the current filter. This idea but in a box:

51zHKLYK5BL.jpg

What ever you do decide to do may I suggest that the filter medium is no higher than half of the box. The reasoning is that if it becomes choked the water will still flow but over the medium and not over the sides of the box

Saw another interesting concept which i give a try once i collected all the pvc parts etc :)

if it doesn't work i can re-use the PVC for a new setup/test :)

I'm not sure the sequence of filters is right. UV should be the last stage with the coarser filter nearer the intake and finer filter nearer the outflow. At least thats how I do it in a canister.

Saw another interesting concept which i give a try once i collected all the pvc parts etc :)

if it doesn't work i can re-use the PVC for a new setup/test :)

Good luck, why not take pictures too.

A word to note: If his filter blocks it will not matter...........it was sitting above his "pool"

I'm not sure the sequence of filters is right. UV should be the last stage with the coarser filter nearer the intake and finer filter nearer the outflow. At least thats how I do it in a canister.
I see different setups that are used. UV before and after the filter. Some say before the filter will kill the algae and traps it in the first chamber of the filter and others prefer after the filter to collect the large stuf first and than use the uv in clearer water.

Don't know which would be the best but i can't change it anyhow with the current filter (and i haven't used the UV yet :p)

Hi mate. On my koi pond. And my new build.i always have had my uv after filter. If you look at my thread. Freds new build. I am just having the plumbing done over the next ten days. On mine it goes pond to filter to pump to uv to upper pond return. And on skimmer line. Sieve to pump to uv to bottom tangible returns in pond. Also that filter bucket.why dont you try putting some micron mesh in side and run the water through that. Then you have made a sieve. Like say 58 micron and that will gather the fine stuff. But you would have to run the water through it. Like my ultra sieve does. Hope this helps. And best of luck mate. Fred

Still thinking about which type of prefilter it will be. The current and running filter uses the uv as first step and i cant change it. Maybe when i rotate the top/lid. will give that a try :).

But i got a new idea (one i can find some bulkheads here -.- ). I have some round plastic planters like these.

1798400.jpg

So i buy an extra one :p
And i need to visit ikea for this product: stabil.

http://m.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/art/10112530/

Yes i can make a sieve (i hope) :p

Nice one mate. Your uv will still work to an extent
But it works 100 percent better after filter best fred

Nice pot Paulus, but if you like to copy that swirlfilter idea, depending on the bulkhead diameter you might get into trouble with the bulkheads seal leaking.. :) Because the thicknes of the pot, my guess is it will stay curved no matter with how much force you tighten the bulkhead. The bulkheads are contstruted for sealing a flat surface. A simple bucket has i thin enough wall to be deformed by the thightning force.

If it's the velda filter with the 40mm inlet i think it is, you would need 40mm bulkhead on the pot to match the flow speed.. The bottom one on the pot is not going to fit i'm afraid since it has a much smaller diameter than 40cm. Next to that the pot's wall is inclined the bulkhead will point downwards to the ground once connected.

In these small dimension and if it needs to decorative as well i think you're better off finding something square and with flat surfaces. :)

I would say that pot is far too small to be of any use as part of a filter, and also too awkward to connect a pipe to because of the angle.
If you are trying to make a vortex filter (One where the water moves in a spiral and so dirt falls to the bottom) you need as big a diameter container as you can get, the reason is the water has to flow slowly, so that the dirt falls out, if the water is fast the dirt will be carried along with the flow and never fall out.

The first parts are in and made a quick test setup to test the ikea part of this story :p and it is collecting dirt :D

Looks great, why not fill it with small lava grit and put a plant in it??

And all the dirt and crap

That's what the plants would love and live of.. You will have a top notch biological filter.. I filter about 250 liters terrace pond like that.. Pump the water on top af a plant basket filled with substrate.. Pond stands in full sun all day, it's crystal clear and the plant basket with grassy plants like Cyperus and Rotala and few others grows like mad... :)

You still can make it 2 steps, a plant basket seperate above that pot. So plants in substrate instead of the sieve.. :) It will sieve even better when it seeps down into the substrate.

Static K1 makes a great pre filter,You can use any container with a drain to waste covered with a grid to stop the k1 going down the drain. To clean it you just fluidise it for 5 mins to release the dirt drop the water to waste.Job done.
Just like in a nexus.

Like it mate .that's like a mini mini ultra sieve. I have a ultra sieve 3 on my skimmer line. And looking at that video does the same job. Is that mesh steel mesh or a type of nylon. And what micron size is that. Why I ask does it take the finest out.and not just solids. My ultra sieve is 100 micron in size. My rotary drum is 58 micron
I like your way of thinking. Nice one mate best fred

Like it mate .that's like a mini mini ultra sieve. I have a ultra sieve 3 on my skimmer line. And looking at that video does the same job. Is that mesh steel mesh or a type of nylon. And what micron size is that. Why I ask does it take the finest out.and not just solids. My ultra sieve is 100 micron in size. My rotary drum is 58 micron
I like your way of thinking. Nice one mate best fred

its a steel mesh/splatter screen from Ikea :p

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...splatter-screen-stainless-steel-art-10112530/

No idea what the micron size is :)

I see different setups that are used. UV before and after the filter. Some say before the filter will kill the algae and traps it in the first chamber of the filter and others prefer after the filter to collect the large stuf first and than use the uv in clearer water.

I think the idea of putting the UV at the last stage is because dirty particles in the water reduce the efficiency of the UV filtration.

Back