• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scared of spiders & shrimp

Manisha

Hi,
Since having a planted tank I have hoped to keep Amano shrimp ... but their legs freak me out & the fact they don't swim away when you put your hand in to do maintenance. What am I going to do? Spiders are awesome but as long as they don't touch me...in the same sort of way!

lolololol! I don't think you should keep anything if it scare you! I remember having tree frogs as a teenager which literally frightened the living sh@t out of me...

Thanks guys for your kind responses :) I felt a bit of a dumb blonde posting this (though am not blonde!)

Martin, that's exactly what I'd like to be able to do :):):) but it's a knee jerk reaction & I really wouldn't want to throw a little critter across the room :(

Eastern - that is so cute! Maybe he was crawling up for a thank you hug?!

Ndrj1 - Haha indeed! I think the flying food with legs would have freaked me out more :D

Glove time. I have a CRS which eats from my forceps. Not keen on having it on my arm though. My guppies bite me when I put my hand in. Cause they are greedy.

OP I don't like any of the fauna touching me. A bamboo shrimp walked over my hand the other day. I cringed. Not a nice feeling. If anything dies in the tank it gets taken out with tweezers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like touching or being touched by shrimp either haha, amano's or bamboos used to freak me out :lol:

Solution is to get red cherries instead, those little guys are too cute to be scary; I could stick my hand in a bucket of them and not be bothered

A psychologist might recommend graded exposure therapy, the gradual acclimatisation to something that frightens you. Start with touching it for 1 sec today, try 2 secs tomorrow and so on. Eventually you'll get there.

TBH I can't feel shrimp when they walk over my hand. Maybe my hands aren't very sensitive due to manual work though.

Thanks for all the advice! I think you gave me the push I needed...they really are so facinating and useful in the planted tank. I got 3 and drip acclimatised yesterday. Two boys and a girl I think?!
Thank you all again :)
P_20160529_195415.jpg

Back