• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green line forming on Black Molly

This tank is a new setup. Has been cycling for about 5-6 weeks now and has no plants at the moment. It's going to be a temporary setup for my nephew who is very new to the hobby. He's stocked a little heavy for the tank size which is a 75l 50cm x 33cm x 43cm. Stocked with 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami; 5 Rosbaras; and 2 mollies.

Filtration is a power filter 120 gph. He has noticed this spot on his black molly getting progressively larger. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat it?

thumbnail_IMG_0905.jpg

He has an issue with cloudy water, but that would be pretty normal for a tank that is still cycling, couldn't it?

My first question would be why are you cycling a tank with fish in it and no plants? Plants would at least help with the water quality. With a tank heavily planted up from the beginning traditional cycling is not so necessary but to put fish into an uncycled tank with no plants is asking for trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have you got a trusted aquatic shop to check your water and in the meantime cram it full of plants,easy growers,looks like a secondary infection,it which normally a Esha product ,check on line, to cover widespread conditions would be the best option,its a case of a small hospital tank or treat the tank itself which could be not yet cycled without enough biological filtration there are products claim to speed up the process,its a shame to add fish to soon

My first question would be why are you cycling a tank with fish in it and no plants?

He went to one of our local chains with his mother and the associate gave them some "advice" on setting up a tank. He spouted something off about the easiest beginner tanks are smaller tanks without plants. From what I gather from the story, he convinced them that plants are nothing more then decorations that require extra work. :(

To my everlasting shame, I really wish they had come to me first. It probably would have been very easy to convince them that a Walstad style or low tech option would have been less effort, and cheaper of a route to go. At any rate, I advised them to set up a second "hospital" planted tank to put the Molly in. I think with time they'll see the difference between the artificial method and the planted way.

Interesting timing, I've got a similar problem with a black molly. I bought 2, one of them croaked within days and the other is covered in greeny-gold stuff. It started as a few spots and has grown into what you can see below. (the pic is upside down)

It's been in a hospital tank (bucket) for over a month now, I've tried salt, blackout, temperature, ich treatment, methyline blue, copper and it looks worse than ever. Yet it appears to still be swimming around fine. I wonder whether these fish were from the same breeder? I'm based in Bristol but I believe the LFS gets it's fish from Czech Republic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=640417&d=1465305044.jpg

I'd do a water change, add bottled bacteria; and allow the tank to establish, sounds like its not been cycled properly, which has likely hit the fish hard.

He did a water change and treated with salt.
The line has gotten smaller. Same story, fish happily swimming about like nothing is wrong.

Sent from my Huawei-U8687 using Tapatalk

So we're thinking this is non-contagious? My Molly was in with it's tank mates for a month or so and no one else got infected.

So we're thinking this is non-contagious? My Molly was in with it's tank mates for a month or so and no one else got infected.
Yeah. None of these guys have caught it either. Nephew is from Ogden UT so I wonder if you're right about, them coming from the same distributor.

What would that be, though? I wondered if it was a water quality issue from the breeder.

I'd do a water change, add bottled bacteria; and allow the tank to establish, sounds like its not been cycled properly, which has likely hit the fish hard.
Thank you. Water was changed and and feeding reduced to once a day. I think he could benefit from some bottom feeders but am concerned about bioload. Do you think bottom feeders are a necessity in a non planted tank?

Thank you. Water was changed and and feeding reduced to once a day. I think he could benefit from some bottom feeders but am concerned about bioload. Do you think bottom feeders are a necessity in a non planted tank?

Nope, can do their job with a trusty hose at water change instead

Nope, can do their job with a trusty hose at water change instead
Thank you. That should be good for them. They're already talking about an upgrade as they love the rasboras. This time they'll use aqua soil and plants

Back