• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

500l discus tank

Looks quite unique actually! Well done!!

If i was to criticize then id would only suggest having a few areas of the rock stick out so its a little less uniform and circular, which will add points of interest to lead the eye around the tank...
Thanks for the input Iain. I have a few kg of rock left for this purpose. Some I will tie mosses and plants to. My pipes from China turned up today and now I'm trying to figure the best place for inlets and outlets. I'll post a sketch of the options and would be grateful for opinions.

53989295dd19fed243a7dad26e49428a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
The eheim has 2 inlets and one outlet. The second filter will not be as strong as the eheim and will have co2 atomiser at the inlet.

The stainless steel pipes feel a really nice weight and the end cap screws off the inlet so I can add a shrimp guard on the end if I want. It means the pipes don't get blocked easily
7563ffa9a126d8d5430600e85069a8c7.jpg
d19e43e4c86398c1e1e02d475bd4db0b.jpg
ee9b1d84f657966140312d1dedf4e513.jpg

oh and you said you covered the weir in black acrylic is that just sheets cut then siliconed on ? cheers

Yes, I cut sheets to fit and the siliconed on.
Have programmed the lights at 25% at the moment and now the power converter boxes are making an extremely annoying high pitched whine! I have contacted DsunY and sent them a video as requested so they are looking into it. The noise is so loud I can hear it over the TV!
On a happier note I filled the tank last night and started up the eheim monster for the first time. It has no problem at all pushing water the 5ft length of the tank! I then put the outlet from the jbl 1501 at the opposite end and I think this layout will work. There was lots of tiny bubbles in the tank so I could see how the flow was moving. I can now cut the perspex lid around all the pipework. I ordered plants last night too so they will hopefully be here for the weekend.

Tonight husband is working late so as soon as wee one was tucked up in bed I ignored the dishes and ironing as knocked together the frame of the hood so I can hang the lights. I think the plants will arrive tomorrow so had to get it done. Swapped the inlet on the jbl to see if it will stop sucking air. Sounds better already but now have ugly eheim tube in the tank. The stainless steel outlets are far too short for the depth of the tank so I will change them for black to blend in with the background.
ee8f4d15ef10aa667ba6bbbca7e3c98d.jpg

No idea how I'm going to plant this up as I've just added to the height of the tank with the frame

It is planted but my back is pretty knackered from doing it. I'm going to do as DTL has done and use a t junction to split the outflow from the eheim. With both filters on there is too much flow considering the fish I keep. The jet outlets I'm using send flow straight out across the tank so I'm going to cut a bit off the end of one to send flow down. Maybe I'll trim both outlets so both send the flow slightly down. The JBL is still getting some air despite me changing the inlet pipe for a new eheim one. It isn't coughing out air as it was but when I give it a shoogle there is often air inside. It is noisier than usual too.
The lights are incredible BUT there is a really annoying whine from the power convertor boxes. I could hear it tonight even with the tv on and the eheim hummimg a bit. I contacted DsunY who asked for a video to show their 'people'. When they saw/heard the video they said oh yes that's loud and then asked me how they could stop it doing that! I was like FFS that is your job! :rage:
Next up will be putting mosses on stones and trying to get them where I want them. I will try really hard not to drop my tweezers again as I had a bit of a job getting them back out again. Think I need a second pair of tweezers for retrieving the first when I drop them :rolleyes:
The eheim Is a bit noisy too. I'm so intolerant of noise it is like torture in my lounge at the mo.

I completely empathise, I'm totally sensitive to noise as well - I reckon it fits the psychological profile of most of us dedicated planted tank enthusiasts/obsessives...I think it's called perfectionism:arghh:
Sometimes it can seem like what's supposed to be a relaxing and enjoyable hobby can become a bit of a trial...hang in there, I'm sure it'll be worth it and you'll get it sorted to your satisfaction:)

I'm ridiculous. I can't have a ticking watch in the bedroom and ticking clocks in the house. In fact when I was living alone in my wee flat my mum came over from France. We were both sleeping in my room and I could hear ticking. It drove me nuts. Turns out she had a tiny travel clock - in her luggage in the next room. She thought I was crazy when I was raking through her stuff and then yanking the batteries out of the torture device (clock).

Haha...that's not ridiculous:rolleyes:...Personally, I dislike clocks and watches intensely...especially clockwork ones that tick when you're trying to get to sleep:mad:

hi, nice huge tank. did you ever consider going open top? it adds an extra viewing angle and makes maintenance way easier. you will only need to figure out a way to hang the leds, but seeing what you have done so far, its going to be a walk in the park for you.
Good luck!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

hi, nice huge tank. did you ever consider going open top?
I have had open tops before but evaporation was pretty bad and you get fish jumping. I did think about just having a bracket for the lights as I have perspex lids but I would need a strip of something along the top of the tank to hide the ugly braces. I also got glare from the lights on my last tank so that is why I decided to box these ones in. Nothing is final though and if there is no blinding glare from these lights I will still consider having no hood. I just feel it will look more finished with a hood hiding all the wires as each panel has a power cable and then there are cables joining each panel. It would be easier for maintenance not having a hood though.

The Jbl e1501 is still sucking air so I've taken it off the tank and emailed JBL to see what they say. The filter was only bought last august so a bit disappointed.

Try pushing the primer button while filter is still working and then shake it good to release air.
I did this repeatedly all day until no air was coming out. I then left it running over night and by morning it was back to coughing up air again.

Back