• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First flood, water temp and dechlorinator ?

Paul195

Hi

When filling for the first time, should the water be heated to the intended running temperature and dechlorinated before adding, or is it OK to fill with cold water straight from the tap and heat/dechlorinate in the tank ?

Paul

Technically you should really dechlorinate and warm the water before putting it in your tank (that's what I do at each water change). So you are not adding any chlorine (or heavy metals if you have really really poor quality, probably none UK water) into the tank.

However, many people dose a whole tank dechlorinator dose into the tank, turn filters off and just run a hose pipe of cold water straight into the tank, no issues.

I was just wondering if adding cold chlorinated water would cause a problem (or shock) for the plants for the period of time it takes me to plant (perhaps fill just above substrate) and then fill. If there is any risk to the plants then I would rather take the safer option, and prepare the water in a container.

Plants are reasonably resistant to chlorinated water, after all people water their lawns/plants from tap water with no issues, its just your filter and to a lesser extent your fish that will have issues. I would say that, provided you have no fish and no mature filter and no mature substrate you needn't bother with dechlorinator or heating, the chlorine will probably gas off or react with organics pretty quickly once in the tank.

However dechlorinator in form of Prime doesn't cost much so just add Prime to tank as it is filling.

As for heating the water, yes, as it stops your hands freezing off if you need to do plant fiddling. Plants just grow slower in colder water.

Ok cool, I've got some prime so will just dose that in when filling. Cheers for the advice ;)

Paul

Probably shouldn't share this, but...I've never used dechlorinator except for Purigen after recharge.
I don't think it was invented or available when I first started the hobby, and as far as I know I've never had any issues...
...I've got fish that are well past their expiry date and still going strong.
It's pretty volatile stuff and I reckon that if your tank is well oxygenated and balanced dechlorinator probably doesn't make that much difference...but just my experience.

P.S. so I just use the mixer tap and gauge the temp by hand, sounds a bit hit and miss but I've got pretty good at it over the years.

I just use the mixer tap and gauge the temp by hand

That's how I've been doing it in my 5ft tank which has been a disaster so the tendency is to want to do everything on my new tank differently.
Despite of this, transporting water from tap to container to tank, using tube heaters and the time associated with this process seems like a pain if it isn't absolutely necessary.
Sounds like many people are filling from the mixer tap and adding dechlorinator to the tank with no problems so I think I'll continue with this method.

I have never used dechlorinator either. After my wc I fill my bucket back up and let it sit untill next wc. Never had a problem.

Back