• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can I convert to Rimless?

diirrtydubcakeZ

Seedling
Hey everyone!

I'm not exactly new to fish-keeping, but certainly new to Aquascaping...I REALLY like the look of Rimless tanks, but I already have a 54Ltr tank I picked up cheap.

Question is, can I remove the lid and the black plastic around it without losing integrity?
http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/FRF-585-Aquarium-54L.html

Above is the link for the Tank I have...I don't mind just taking the lid out and putting a light etc over the top, but Rimless would be ideal!!

If not, any ideas where I can get a cheap-ish rimless tank - the same size? 60x30x....45?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I'm not exactly new to fish-keeping, but certainly new to Aquascaping...I REALLY like the look of Rimless tanks, but I already have a 54Ltr tank I picked up cheap.

Question is, can I remove the lid and the black plastic around it without losing integrity?
http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/FRF-585-Aquarium-54L.html

Above is the link for the Tank I have...I don't mind just taking the lid out and putting a light etc over the top, but Rimless would be ideal!!

If not, any ideas where I can get a cheap-ish rimless tank - the same size? 60x30x....45?

Thanks!
I did thought about doing this to my Juwel and at the time the consensus seemed to be it is a lottery. There are plenty of folks who did without problems and also plenty that have got glass bowing due to this. As for alternatives the cheaper I remember finding was probably the AquaOne AquaOpti 85.

Thanks Bacms =]

That tank is very nice for the money!! I wonder how much I could fetch for that FRF one? I don't really want to remove the top, fill it with water and plants and fish and have the thing collapse on me, that would be devastating!!

Hi D, These are good I ordered 60 x 40 x 40 cm and a 40cm Cube Fab looking tanks well made too :thumbup:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/a...aqua-one-aquaopti-aquariums/all-products.html

These are awesome for the money, optiwhite too, much better value than. just waiting for our trade supplier to add them to the price list

Which are just plain float glass

Note that ADA cube garden 60 x 30 x 36 is similar price to Aqua One 60 x 40 x 40 ... most tanks are competitively priced (ignore the "regular retail price") & it's the bit of kit that you look at constantly, so buy the one that you like.

Note that the ad does state that frame etc can be removed ... it's really just whether you believe them ... look very carefully at the silicon seals for any bubbles or gaps
Check whether that "frame removal" is included in the written material

Thanks for the answers guys =] I'll maybe contact the manufacturer and see what they advise - I bought it second hand from a friend, so no literature =[
My missus says that I'm 'just being picky' in that I want a rimless/braceless tank - what does she know, eh?! Haha...

I doubt anybody who might get any fall back from it will tell you "OK to remove" incase you hold it against them later.

I'd be interested to see your current take with the lid off, will give a good idea of if the stuff on there is supporting or decorative.

I heard that legendary story many years ago too...he had to use a belt instead to keep his trousers up:D

...Seriously tho' folks:cigar: I've removed the...well everything really...from around the rim of a Juwel 70l and a Fluval Roma 90l without any mishaps, and that was several years ago now.

But that said you'd have to be very brave to try it with anything bigger than Georges Rio 125, the flex in the front and back glass would be very scary...

The Fluval Roma...
21936766235_261d91eec2_c-jpg.2201.jpg

I removed the rim from my fluval Roma 125 and bought a cheap piece of 10mm thick perspex online and aquarium siliconed it in.
This allowed me to fit aftermarket upgraded LED lights and the difference has been phenomenal.

I had a mate that removed the rim from his juwel Rio 125 and it had a definite bow to it!
4d017e3020f04f581598c1b0d6d5e87f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have also removed the rim/lid from my fluval roma 90, been like this for 12 months now with no probs. Just a little messy cutting the black sealant away that held the lid in place.
144f492dd77c4c1406cc68c6c17b9ac2.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Wow you guys are very brave - I've spoken with a few local shops now and got a resounding NO!...Who am I kidding, I suppose it's only an inch of blackness! Now I just need to buy some bloody bits to put in it!! After Christmas I suppose =/
The glass on your Fluval certainly looks thicker than that on mine, perhaps that's why you've been okay so far?

The aqua one optiwhite tanks are as near as you can get to ADA buildwise. The silicone is no wider than the glass edge........

I have the 40cm cube and the 60cm. They are sitting empty & unused but I can't make my mind up about the getting the 80cm or the 100cm to complete the triptych. Yeah you heard me :D I've two unused optiwhite tanks and I'm considering buying a third........... :cigar:

Actualy the most pressure the tank has to take is never at the top.. :) Always at the bottom.. If a tank is constructed in full glass without brasses at the vertical corners and bottom horizontal corners, than such a plastic rim at the top is not ment for extra reinforcement and only for making a tight fit for the lid and the bottom rim also is just cosmetics.

The only risk you should take in consideration is if you need force to take it of.. Tho 54 liter aint much pressure force and such tanks even sometimes can take a crack or chip from the glass very well without leaking.. But still if it is glewed on i wouldn't use to much force to get it off. 54 liter on the floor is still a lot.. :)

The last rimless 54 liter tank i bought was a year ago new € 20.. Maybe thats a better option if you still have some savings..

Last edited:
The aqua one optiwhite tanks are as near as you can get to ADA buildwise. The silicone is no wider than the glass edge........

I have the 40cm cube and the 60cm. They are sitting empty & unused but I can't make my mind up about the getting the 80cm or the 100cm to complete the triptych. Yeah you heard me :D I've two unused optiwhite tanks and I'm considering buying a third........... :cigar:
Craziness!! And would you consider parting with the 60cm? ;)

Actualy the most pressure the tank has to take is never at the top.. :) Always at the bottom.. If a tank is constructed in full glass without brasses at the vertical corners and bottom horizontal corners, than such a plastic rim at the top is not ment for extra reinforcement and only for making a tight fit for the lid and the bottom rim also is just cosmetics.

The only risk you should take in consideration is if you need force to take it of.. Tho 54 liter aint much pressure force and such tanks even sometimes can take a crack or chip from the glass very well without leaking.. But still if it is glewed on i wouldn't use to much force to get it off. 54 liter on the floor is still a lot.. :)

The last rimless 54 liter tank i bought was a year ago new € 20.. Maybe thats a better option if you still have some savings..

It's empty at the moment so I don't have the worry of breaking it =] And also - where on earth did you pick up a new 54 ltr rimless tank for €20?? That's an insane price....

Back