• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker fluid

amoran45

Seedling
I lost the bottle of fluid to fill up my drip checker....I've read somewhere u can make your own fluid.

If I make some 4dkh water, do I only need to add the ph reagent to it or is there something else I need to get? Some posts I read talk about some brothymyl blue also....is this a different chemical I need ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that you add a few drops of pH indicator solution until it goes very blue. This forms the 'reference value'. If this later goes green in your tank you have approx 30ppm of co2. Yellow may mean too much.. Ball park of course. Watch your fish at all times.

You can make your own 4kdh water quite easily, though may be cheaper and convenient to buy a small bottle.

You mix 12g of sodium bicarbonate in 1 litre of distilled water (or RO water). This make a 400dKH solution, you keep as your stock solution.

You then add 10ml of stock solution to 990ml of distilled water (or RO water) to make it 4dKH solution. You then add your bromothymol blue to this solution. Done.:)

4dKH solution.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ne...9.html?zenid=37e2ccc08a1c29054e25cc5f9b728f65

Bromothymol blue.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ne...5.html?zenid=37e2ccc08a1c29054e25cc5f9b728f65

You can make your own 4kdh water quite easily, though may be cheaper and convenient to buy a small bottle.

You mix 12g of sodium bicarbonate in 1 litre of distilled water (or RO water). This make a 400dKH solution, you keep as your stock solution.

You then add 10ml of stock solution to 990ml of distilled water (or RO water) to make it 4dKH solution. You then add your bromothymol blue to this solution. Done.:)

4dKH solution.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ne...9.html?zenid=37e2ccc08a1c29054e25cc5f9b728f65

Bromothymol blue.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ne...5.html?zenid=37e2ccc08a1c29054e25cc5f9b728f65
I've also read that u can use the ph test solution from a testing kit to add to the 4dkh solution...is that bromthymol?

I've also read that u can use the ph test solution from a testing kit to add to the 4dkh solution...is that bromthymol?
Er no. Bromothymol blue is a very narrow range indicator going from blue at 7pH to yellow at 6pH with green in between (6.5pH), so gives a very good colour change in a narrow pH range. You could use your pH testing solution but they are very broad range ie Litnus changes colour between 4.5pH and 8.5pH so you would have to determine the exact colour at 6.5pH which would be very hard.

Er no. Bromothymol blue is a very narrow range indicator going from blue at 7pH to yellow at 6pH with green in between (6.5pH), so gives a very good colour change in a narrow pH range. You could use your pH testing solution but they are very broad range ie Litnus changes colour between 4.5pH and 8.5pH so you would have to determine the exact colour at 6.5pH which would be very hard.
I see.....thanks for the info! I guess I'll have to find some bromothymol blue then....I'm sure I can find some in canada

One more question....I have found some btb to purchase on amazon...but I have found different percentages of aqueous solution.....I there one in particular that would be more accurate? Or does it even matter? Thanks again

Doesn't matter. Just gives a more or less opaquer green at 30ppm. With a glass drop checker, before I broke it, required quite a concentrated solution but with JBL drop checker I dilute with 4dKH water a bit so I can easily see the white background.

I juse the JBL pH 6,0 - 7,6 sollution in the drop checker. Next to a PH controler.
With 4dKH it starts dark Blue and gets a nice clear green collor at pH 6.4 - 6,3.. Which is my goal value.
If i use a wider range test sollution one from pH5 to 10, the color differs quite a lot it starts dark green and turns more to the yellow at pH6.4
My tap and tank water is already between KH 4 - 5.. :)

Alright sounds good, thanks for all the info!

Back