• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aurora Aquatica

Just ordered up a piece of fine plastic mesh from eBay so hopefully it arrives Friday and I can put a fix in place. Until then it's staying off unless I'm sat there supervising while it clears the surface.

Back from my business trip to Ireland and all was well with the aquarium last night. 5 happy Otos who have done an awesome cleaning job of the wood and plants. Good growth on everything apart from the Alternanthera, so I have increased the tile to 50% intensity, still at 6 hours for now and still 30 cm from the water surface.

Today I went and shopped for a few more fish. I was hoping to get a few more Otos after losing one, plus some Amanos, but MA didn't get Amanos again on their order this week, no Otos either.

I have just acclimatised and added 13 Ember Tetra (should have been 12, miscount in my favour by the shop) and 6 Odessa Barb. CO2 and lights off at the moment, will add CO2 once they have settled and lights on at normal time this evening. They seem to be settling and exploring their new home. The boisterous Odessas are actually the more cautious so far, favouring the stems to hide most of the time, but I'm sure they will be out on view later.

Great update :)

though I'm curious, why 6 Odessa?
(I'd think 8-10 for a nice mix of sexes/behavior etc)

In further too much opinion mode ;), "doubling time" for N-cycle bacteria is ~ 72 hours (they are S.L.O.W) so I'd try for a few 25% daily water changes ... maybe the plants clean up any "extra" ammonia but given the current photoperied/plant establishment stage etc I'd err on the side of caution, I also like to do daily water changes when introducing new fish as a disease precaution (re offer optimum water conditions)

I went with 6 Odessa as I don't want to overload and seem to see different opinions in size, plus it was 6 for £20 so went with 6 today.

I'm tempted to increase the number of embers later this week maybe up to around 18. If you think I should add more Odessa, I could do that.

I'm also tempted with a male/female pair of Kribensis

As for water changes, did a small one today as I drew water from the tank to the bucket that the new fish bags were floated in, then drip aclimated for around 35-40 minutes. I topped up the tank with fresh water once the fish were in.

I'll be doing my usual 50% change and plant maintenance in the morning.

I'm also tempted with a male/female pair of Kribensis

Don't, please don't. A pair of kribensis will make a very hostile environment of Your tank, especially when decide to breed.... I have been there and I lost half of all my other fish and had to almost destroy my setup to catch the fry later. Kribensis killed shrimp, cardinal tertras, rasbora espei ect.... and they did it just for fun, because they did not eat any of those.

If chiclids, then "chiclids only" tank!

That's a shame about the Kribs, I know they can be territorial when breeding, but from what I had read they are usually ok in a community tank.

I cleared out the melted patch of S. Repens during the water change today, filled in the gaps with some cuttings from my propagator and with some tops trimmed from taller plants in the tank.

Getting good growth elsewhere. Finally spotted some tiny new leaves on some of the Alternanthera and these ones are red, so fingers crossed it's about to get going.

I'm persevering with the Crypts for now, but lacking patience. Will give it a few more weeks and see.

The Limnophila H. is doing really well now, not red yet, but growing well. I'm just hoping the Echinodorus Reni does not get overtaken and struggle to compete.

One of my Otos seems to have discovered that the bottom of the spray bar is a good place to hang out!

a6878e93f398e176e2097d3aa93732c5.jpg

And a quick FTS.

4a4a9fef8be6b0b5b3016b13f2cf0e1f.jpg

I meant to say I also removed the small bit of Monte Carlo. It was straggly and messy and is the one plant that the Otos don't seem interested in doing any clean up on. I may come back to a foreground carpet later on, but for now I'll extend the S. Repens in time and leave some of the sand clear.

Last edited:
My Odessa barbs seem to have a penchant for both gardening and biting! I use the word gardening in the loosest possible terms, basically they like nibbling and uprooting the newly planted S. Repens. What's really strange is the established plants and new tops trimmed from the tank get left alone, they only pick at the tougher leaves that were grown emmersed in the propagator. :banghead:

As for the biting, if my hand goes in to replant they all crowd around and nibble on my hands! No doubt if I could get my feet in the tank the little devils would give me one of those fish pedicure things! :eek:

Last edited:
So, time for another update!

The Odessas have done a fine job shredding them emmersed tops I planted, so most have gone, leaves me a few gaps, but I'll fill in with tops trimmed in the tank in time.

My new plants arrived from CO2Art yesterday, another Anubias Nana, plus an Anubias Nana Mini. I didn't want to wait until water change tomorrow as most of the planting positions would still be underwater with the tank half empty, so I tried to work fast with superglue gel.

The Nana was actually two separate rhizomes, so that was handy. I've glued them in where I want them, hard to get the perfect position with the shapes of plant I had to work with, but once they establish I'm sure they will fill in and turn their leaves to the light to give a more natural look.

The Mini was more difficult. This came as one piece and was a very dense clump, so when I tried to cut through I ended up with two bigger pieces and three smaller off cuts. I've glued these in and I'm hoping they look more natural once settled in a bit more.

One lesson learnt today is that gluing tiny bits of Nana Mini = fingers stuck together + Anubias stuck to fingers! Thankfully I have superglue remover in my model making kit.

The most exciting news is the introduction of my feature pair of fish! I decided that I would try the Kribensis, so went to MA and bought the dominant pair from their tank. They are aclimated and in and exploring their new home together. Although it's true they can be aggressive when spawning, the general consensus seems to be that they are good community fish. There are plenty of nooks and crannies, densely planted areas at the back, plus a cave under my bogwood, so they should be able to establish their own spot when they are ready and hopefully no problems.

I'll try to get some pics later after lights on.

Last edited:
they only pick at the tougher leaves that were grown emmersed in the propagator
There's a good chance these "taste" different, also possible that they've started to breakdown structurally so it's a bit like shrimp/snails etc cleaning up slightly damaged leaves (that still look fine to human eyes) ... of course it's also possible that you've gotten a group of Those Odessa's

(FWIW my shoal of chocolate gouramies decimated the Micranthemum umbrosum - & nibbled several other plants - after apparently peacefully existing in the tank for some time :confused: they were banished for months, & have now been back in the main tank for a couple weeks, they've been minding their plant manners so far ...)

The Odessa's should be a good match for the kribs, ie limit the numbers of surviving offspring ;) to a manageable level :D
As with most cichlids, YMMV when they settle into breeding, so an excellent excuse to have that back up tank :wideyed:

Thankfully I have superglue remover in my model making kit.
that seems just a little too easy :lol:

Had two Odessa Barbs jump to their death last night, really disappointing :(

They had shown no sign of jumping the first week, but found one on the floor this morning about 2 metres from the tank, so it must have jumped and flapped around to get there. I counted and could only see 4 in the tank, so searched around and found another on the floor behind the tank.

I guess the water level is higher after the change on Sunday so that might make it easier for them to jump, but it was high last week too just after they went in and no jumpers then.

I guess I might have to get a cover made for the tank.

Not a great deal to report today, but growth is good on everything except the Alternanthera at the moment. I did my water change and a full clean of all pipe work earlier, plus a little plant maintenance.

My Limnophila H. is growing really well now, but better in the corner where it gets more light. I've trimmed back the Hygrophila to give the rest more light. The Echinodorus Reni is now shaded by the Limnophila, so not sure how well it's going to do. I may move some if the taller Limnophila stems away from it next weekend to give it more light.

Some of the taller S. Repens was trimmed and the tops replanted to start filling in gaps created by the Odessas ripping out the emmersed growth I planted. The Ranunculous was thinned out a little and some taller stems trimmed out.

The Hydrocotyle is growing nicely now, a few taller bits almost ready to be pushed in to the substrate to have the plant spread out more, probably next week. I have a number of new Microsorum plantlets growing on the end of established leaves, decided to leave them be for now, let them grow a little larger. Hopefully I can use these to fill in the gaps in time.

The Crypt is still very slow, but it's making progress so I'll persevere with it as it should look great in time. I do wish I had bought an established plant rather than the Tissue Culture, I'm too impatient!

I'm down to three Odessa Barbs now as we had a third jumper yesterday morning. I'm going to look at getting a Perspex cover cut, but need to find somewhere that will cut an unusual shape rather than just straight cuts so it fits around the equipment. Would be easy if it was just the inlet and outlet as I would have it cut short, but it needs to go around the dosing tubes too.

I'll try to post some pic updates tonight when lights are on.

Back