• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano 130 low tech something

Katch

So, took a good fews years off planted tanks. Went salty for a couple of years and then stopped keeping tanks for a bit.

Trying to resist going high tech again as my last planted tank was a salad factory!

So here's the new tank;

77634429e2e331f4ccee3e51a8b4ae97.jpg

Scape is a big old chunk of bogwood from my old setup and some dragonstone.

Not sure if I want the righthand rock or not.

22508cef68d906e6563692e7ccacddfd.jpg

Footprint is 80 x 30 (+10 rear filter) and 45 high

Lighting is stock led

Substrate is going to be soil capped with a light sand with 1-2mm grain size, not sure which but maybe unipac maui or Fiji.

Planting, tempted to go all crypts.

Stocking, no idea yet. I want the Scape well established before adding guests.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

I guess it's just Aquaone speak as it's a larger version of their other Aquanano style tanks. Little torn as to whether to pull the back out and have the extra footprint for DT and put a canister on it. Can't quite bring myself to do it as it's my first ever new new tank. Maybe for the rescape in 12 months time.

I'm leaning towards the 2nd layout - will see how it looks when I get some substrate in as to whether I use the spare stone or not.

Starting to think I might get a 12.5kg bag of Unipac silica sand to cap with.

Quick update.

Picked up some dennerle quartz substrate cheap from amazon (£7.35 a bag)

Mixed a bag of original aqua soil with John innes no. 3 about 50/50.

Laid down a good layer of soil, put some greenhouse shading on top and capped with the quartz gravel.

23fec915becc838f792d781c76b81855.jpg

2c5bd3100267f67f9a0fcb1aa1d7f132.jpg

Flooding now. Will be letting it sit for a few weeks while it cycles. Might put some frogbit on the surface.

Need to pick up some plumbing bits. Want to diy a spray bar at the back and make an overflow surface skimmer for the outflow.

On holiday in Greece first week of may, so probably won't plant up till the week after. Should be well cycled by then.

Thanks for the likes and comments.

I'll try for some better photos when I get a chance but 10 month old daughter taking up lots of my time! Need to clean the glass and get rid of some of the snails...

Plants:

Background left to right;

Amazon sword (will probably pull these in time but helping to stabilise the tank early on)
cryptocoryne undulata
cryptocoryne beckettii
cryptocoryne nevelli (sulking but not dying)

Foreground is a mixed lawn of;

lilaeopsis brasiliensis (massively sulking)
eleocharis parvula
sagittaria subulata

The lilaeopsis was supposed to be a monoculture lawn but it really hasn't taken, so added the hairgrass and dwarf sagittaria recently. The sag is growing quickly and the HG is slow as expected. Hopefully the lileaopsis will kick into gear a bit in time.

Stock:

Rummynose tetra
Pygmy corys
Rosey loaches
honey gourami
otocinclus
Amano shrimp

Back