• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there a market for out of date FEs?

JAX3000

Hi,

I may have stumbled across a (legitimate) source of cheep out of date 2kg fire extinguishers...

Is this something people would want to buy off me...? More to spread the love than to earn money. My guy doesn't want to deal with lots of people, so I could act as a middle man and we can all save £££££s...

Or is this another one of my bad ideas...?

(I'm in Surrey)

Cheers

I think it is a bad idea as cylinders beyond their 10 year life should not be offered for sale or even be on the market, without having the cylinder retested.

However there is nothing to stop you using them personally (I might have done that) or your friends or friends friends, but do watch out as occasional they contain significantly less than 2Kg CO2. Some places are known to give away for free out of date cylinders as it normally costs them money to extract the CO2 and dispose of the cylinder.

Although I'd probably be willing to use an expired FE - if you go down the selling route you may expose yourself to all kinds of trouble. I'd expect there is some regulations or laws about doing such a thing.

If an out of date cylinder you sold did harm somebody, the comeback could be huge. I doubt one would explode etc, but maybe somebody gives themselves frostbite discharging it or similar.

Thanks for your feedback.

Having looked into it, I'm not prepared to send them. It's too risky or costly and probably both.

I don't think being out of date should be relevant if not being relied upon as a fire extinguisher. (If a FE fails, people may die, if an aquarium co2 injection system fails, plants may not show vigorous healthy growth...) But that's just what I think. The law may differ from my opinion, so I take the point that I should not really sell them.

Also, they'll only be just out of date. Like, less than a year, so...

In any case I can "give" them to anybody who takes it at their own risk and collects for... say a tenner...?

Let me know if you can make it to Walton on Thames for a 2kg OUT OF DATE fire extinguisher for £10. If I have any takers I'll see how many I can get hold of and happy days. I'd do swaps too.... Just don't sue me! I'm just trying to stop people being ripped off. Some prices I've see for gas makes me sick!

:)

Out of date cylinders should be re-inspected before being filled.

Depending on how many you have, I wouldn't mind making the journey to you for pickup. There's a chap in hampshire that does the same thing but charges £6.00 per. The journey probably costs me £20 in petrol so I'm better off buying in bulk!

Alto, my guy is a pro and I'm sure he can check them over.

MedicMan, I'll let you know how many I have and we can PM details to meet.

Tim, I can give you a FE for £10. If you can re-fill the one you have for that, fare enough, unless you want a spare...?

Tim, where about are you as I'm still trying to find a LFS that will refill FE'S for a decent price.

Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. I'm posting from my phone/tablet.

Tim, where about are you as I'm still trying to find a LFS that will refill FE'S for a decent price.

Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. I'm posting from my phone/tablet.
Over near the Heathrow area, I use Mr fizz In Uxbridge Ub8 2eq normally around 3 day turnaround from dropping them off to picking them up.

Oh right! Didn't they have an accident a few years back where someone died while refilling one?
I may give them a go though if they do a bulk price! Got about 8 to do!

Back