• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bypass for AM 1000

Not a bad solution... I'm also using the AM1000 and have the same trouble with small bubbles continuously escaping. Have tried a piece of coarse foam with no noticeable improvement, but maybe two layers does the trick. Does this setup completely stop all bubbles, even tiny ones, from escaping?

Not all, but the ones that make it through are really tiny. Their visible, but only barely. I'm considering replacing the bottom layer of foam with a medium one, I don't expect any bubbles to go through then but it might hinder flow a bit too much when it gets clogged up after a while. The bubbles I have now pretty much resemble what you would have with a diffuser inside your tank I guess. Because of their size most of them get caught in the flow anyway and circulate throughout the tank.

Ok so today I tried replacing the bottom layer of foam by a fine filter pad from Fluval. Worked for keeping the bubbles in, but also reduced flow quite dramatically. So that's gone already, I'll try a medium one in the future sometime. Also made the airline a bit shorter so the airstone is a bit more to the top. But when reattaching I didn't pay attention and ended up attaching it to the air bleed instead of the CO2 input. So it's in idle at this time which actually seems to make very little difference (might as well take it out again next maintenance time).

I have always found the am1000 to work best with no media, you should only get small bubbles which isnt an issue. If you want them to dissolve more then just turn the flow down a little so there isnt enough force to blow them out of the reactor. Turning down just a little makes a big difference. Also cleaning media and sponges etc in the reactor is a ball ache.
If small bubbles really bother you then shower poof balls work well but you need to figure out how to stop it getting sucked into the reactor outlet.
FYI they also make great media for inside filters.

I have always found the am1000 to work best with no media, you should only get small bubbles which isnt an issue. If you want them to dissolve more then just turn the flow down a little so there isnt enough force to blow them out of the reactor. Turning down just a little makes a big difference. Also cleaning media and sponges etc in the reactor is a ball ache.
If small bubbles really bother you then shower poof balls work well but you need to figure out how to stop it getting sucked into the reactor outlet.
FYI they also make great media for inside filters.

Well the less bubbles, the less gas you're wasting. And I need to add quite some gas to get to good levels, so I'd like to have it as optimal as possible. And I have no real good way to turn down the flow, FX5 is just blasting through. The only thing I could do is close the hose connector off a little bit, but I'm not sure whether the motor/impellor will appreciate that. And I will end up with less flow in my tank which the plants will probably not appreciate.

Could you tell me more about those 'poof balls'? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean there.

At full power somewhat larger bubbles managed to escape. It's ok now with the coarse filter foam, I think probably the same as it would be with the poof balls now that I understand what those are :) I'll leave it alone for now, maybe try something on the next clean.

I had the same problem with the am1000. And I tried many ways to stop the small bubbles getting pushed out the spraybar. The only way I resolved it was build a reactor. It's the same principle as the am1000 apart from I built it about 10cm longer. That has rectified the problem with small bubbles escaping without reducing the flow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back