• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

De Stroom

Hello:) and thanks.

@Darrel why is the C. nanus an unusual Fish?

Liebe Grüße Felix :)

Hi all,
Darrel why is the C. nanus an unusual Fish?
It maybe more commonly for sale in Europe, but I've never seen it in the UK, where we don't tend to get many fish from Guyana, Surinam etc.

If you have a look at <"PlanetCatfish - Corydoras nanus"> there are only 14 registered owners, where many of the other Corydoras species will have several hundred registered owners.

cheers Darrel

It ain't much if it isn't Dutch............;)
Beware! :) Dutch - Flemish actualy is Plat Deutsch (Dialects still spoken by elders in Germany).. Even bit more far away but English also has many words derived from Plat Deutsch. The Ancient Germanic roots we can't get around. (The modern English is only about 750 years old derived from french/latin and Anglo Saxon/germanic and Gaelic)

Next to plant and Fish few examples.
"Die Küche" is in plat "De Kük" is "De Keuken" is "' The Kitchen"
But "Enough" is in Medievel Germanic/Dutch "Genough" is today "Genoeg" in Flemish and Dutch and "Genug" in German.

If you are Hollander (North Dutch) you might get scared when you hear de simularities with "Hamburger dialect" you can speak to eachother without many problems.
If you are from southern parts of the Netherlands you might get scared by the Colonge dialect and how well you will understand it enough to communicate in your own regional dialect. It's just funny.. :)

Oh then was Kitchen actualy the worst example to give becaus eit might have comes from the Roman Latin word Culina and Coco.

But on topic.. I'm a huge Cory fan, i find them the most lovely excisting catfish. Did some research and scavanged the databases on Cory's suitable for smaller nano scapes around 50 liters and up. There are only 2 staying smaller than 30mm thats the Pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory) the Hastatus (Tail spot pygmy Cory) and the 2 next to that under the 50mm are the Habrorus (Salt and Peper Cory) and the Nanus (Little Cory).. The rest goes around 50mm and bigger.. :) There are some minor reports of them getting bigger then the common size stated..

There are only 2 staying smaller than 30mm thats the Pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory) the Hastatus (Tail spot pygmy Cory)
I wanted some of these for my next setup in which there will be plenty of sand but these smaller Corydoras (C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus) are not bottom feeders if I'm not wrong... and the bigger ones (I love C. julii, beautiful critter) look out of scale in a 60 liters tank, isn't it?
I think I will end up with several species of shrimps and Otos (Panda loaches are also in my wish list but not sure if they will be suitable)

Jordi

I've had a number of cory's in the past in my bigger aquariums, to long ago to remember excactly which. Never had the hastatus but now i have 8 pygmy's dwelling in my tank. The bigger ones indeed stay rather at the bottom and rarely leave it or just lay around in the plants rarely swim free around. The pygmy does this more often but is clearly a bottom dweller, there it is where it feeds. They seem more curious and playfull, like to explore and sometimes school a bit around with the others, in my case the Oto's or the Embers. When they swim freely you see they are not realy build for that, they have to work hard for it, they have to flap their tails and fins very fast to stay up, that's actualy what makes them funny and cuddly to watch. They are realy neet little fish. I'm already hunting a while to get it on video, they do it often but never long enough to get the camera ready. On day i get a lucky shot and post it.

Here i got one where cory wants the piece of bloodworm to Oto picket.

I'll gave it a try :) it's hard to get them on video and stay in focus. And day light isn't the best time to record aquarium videos. Anyway, they like it at the bottom or in the plants just laying around. In my tank it's mostly around a large bush of rotala indica which is their regular home and where they love to hang out. Till one of them decides to explore a bit. Sometimes i see them schooling and browsing the tank with 5 together. But if i put the camera to the glass they become camera shy and emedietly move to the back to the rotala. They hoover like little hummingbirds and then shooting around so fast the camera looses focus.

Hello all:)
So and what kind of Cory is that in my tank now? ^^this sweet little monsters to be grown. 30mm tall.

Here an Update-Video :)

I must change the Tanichthys albonubes in Maculatus boraras, because the fishes jump out of the tank, if the light is off. A phenomenon which I did not know until now.
But iam happy with the Chance.There are now living 16 Maculatus Boraras, but I will still increase at least 25+.
ee7fe020a0b2ea48302fecc0b141d0c2.jpg

ca3c1e24a3c7163d4991f502d0c76080.jpg
e0b4b0e87d236d134137b8040a807451.jpg
6c952d47adb7c9d7b596ac04cd6b3cfa.jpg
32fa095bd286742b267c182558f6841b.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all:)
So and what kind of Cory is that in my tank now? ^^this sweet little monsters to be grown. 30mm tall.

Probably near the one in Darrel's link :)

although..
Only ten specimens were collected by scientists and are stored in museum collections and it's a very infrequent aquarium import. The description of the fish doesn't help with identification as (a) there are now several other similar species described and (b) the type material was sub-adult or juvenile fish.

Because the Nanus is so rarely offered as aquarium fish, it could be juvenile other species like the Bondi or Napoensis which are looking somewhat simular, ask the retailer what he thinks he solled you.. :)

You could give this www.Corydorasforum.de a try maybe someone there who can tell you specific identification marks. Most likely it will get bigger then just 30mm at least the girls will if you got ''m.. :)

Top...yeah it could be. I think C. bilineatus or? :)

Look 'm up at planet catfish, i believe there they give identification features.. Number armor plates, coloring paterns.. Don't know the english word for it but some look rather the same but differ in the fin structure "Anzahl Weichstrahlen" in the fins or form for example.

Love the sence of scale on this tank! May I ask; how did you attach the Sarracenia on the wood? Looks great!

Back