• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Koi hobby?

Hi all, looking for like minded koi keepers with an interest in veggie filters etc...... I have just ordered some floating plants to add to my in pond veggie filter
094996a7069fac9c3f6dc2212b490432.jpg
29696f94c35720adcbb77670b63f8b3e.jpg

Any specific recommendations for plants that are really good at removing the Nitrates, photos are taken during me dropping 10% of the water during my usual water changes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Iridaceae (All that live in swamps, most common are yellow water flag, early flower), Hesperantha coccinea (crimson flag late flower), Hippuris (Mare's horse) tail), Typha (angustifolia, dwarf bulrush), nymphoidis Peltata (yellow floating heart, very invasive) All Nymphae's.. There are many more, but these are safe for foil garden ponts. Some others mostly the reet families root to strong and can puncture the foil or even crack the concret and drain the pond. So always ask for information if they are safe to use in your pond when rooting)

Marsh pennyworts arrived today (12off) planting them into aqua pots with the soil that they came with held down by gravel? Does that sound correct?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Call that a pond! An Olympic swimming Pool more like!

The advert is wrong...Size does matter:)

Cheers,

Steve.
Steve
The pond is roughly 18 x16 ft with a curved front edge, pond volume 7500 UK Gallons

So your 10% water change involves the removal and replacement of three and a half thousand litres?! :eek:

Assume you're not on a meter! :lol:

Edit: Just checked and it would only be a few quid. Quite surprisingly cheap actually.

Yes I am on a meter, but get the discount for NOT returning the water to sewage/drains.

What I do is drop the level 5-6" because the depth is just over 4' = 48" 10% roughly 5"

Back