• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New nano vivarium

Do you normaly have that box in a more humid environment or is it able to tolerante the dry air in a normal room?
It needs some protection in winter (December-February) due to heating, and during the summer (August) due to the high temperatures we have, but the clear plastic case you can see on post 33 is not very well done and has plenty of gaps that ensure a good ventilation. Additionally it is not covered most of the time.
The rest of the year it can be kept without protection. In both cases, I just mist some water when I wake up and when I go to bed, during the cooler months just once is enough... maintenance is like heaven compared to planted tanks!

Jordi

Last edited:
No, it's just 30x20x20 cm... Anyway I'm thinking about using a 60 liters tank for doing something similar but, regarding critters (and especially dart frogs) I fear having live food can be a pain. I really love plants and for the moment I enjoy very much this kind of setups, easy, beautiful and no maintenance at all...

Jordi

If you want to try dartfrogs, chose a Ranitomeyaspecies which doesn't require the same amount of food..Before you get the frogs, estsblish a springtail culture in the bottom of the tank. Then you don't have to be as dependant on fruit flies (which yes can somewhat trubblesum/smelling).
Ulla

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

f you want to try dart frogs...
We will be probably doing some works at home during the next months... Miss and me were discussing the possibility of having a new large tank (400 liters?) right in the middle of the living, but honestly I am now very happy with my two small tanks (20 and 65 liters... maintenance is sooooo easy). I think that if I finally go for something bigger, it is going to be a vivarium. Regarding the critters, I like plants much more than fish, which are actually "something to complete my layouts" (and not the opposite as it usually happens in the hobby), and for the vivarium I guess it is more or less the same. If I think about this new vivarium, TBH moss, orchids, bromeliads, etc. are the first things that come to my mind.... but, who knows? Maybe I will be asking you things about dartfrogs in some months!

Jordi

Well it's actually the same for me. Plants come first, fish/frogs are more for decor (although of course it's important that they are happy as well). Most time consuming when it comes to making the plants happy is the making destilled water...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Do you mean RO or distilled? I used only distilled for mosses and orchids (tap water is too hard, it was enough with 5 liters/month which costs around 1.2 euros) but now I have a new nano tank in which I use 50% of soft water and my soft water demand has increased to 20 liters/month. This is why I have moved to RO which costs monthly 2 euros. Luckily I have found a source of rainwater for at least part of the year

Jordi

Quick update during lunch time...

405eb4790d63e95cb531a4b3514e2fe7.jpg

Jordi

Looking great Jordi.

I actually thought that Nano was about the size of a 60-P, I never realized it was so small! :lol: Unless you've got giant hands of course!

Looking great Jordi.

I actually thought that Nano was about the size of a 60-P, I never realized it was so small! :lol: Unless you've got giant hands of course!
I am not a giant, promised! It is just a little toy to play with. A good way to preserve some cuttings you don't want to lose and really low maintenance

Jordi

Back