• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any clever ideas for mounting\hiding power blocks in the cabinet?

Wisey

Hi All,

I have been sat here tonight trying to work out how I am going to get everything tidy in my cabinet (TMC Signature 60 cm). I seem to have a ridiculous amount of electrical boxes to put somewhere and I am struggling to find a sensible place to mount them.

The TMC Aquaray controller comes with the holes to mount it on two screws, great, except the power block that comes with it does not have any holes for mounting and the cables connecting the two are really short! What a PITA, I want to mount the controller up high in the cab away from splashes and drips, but no easy way to mount the power as well.

I also have the power block for my Eheim filter, again, no mounting holes and stacks of excess cable, I could plug that in through in another room and still have spare cable!

Anyone have any clever ideas? Pictures of cabinets appreciated. I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to mount some of these blocks on the outside of the back of the cabinet, keeps them away from water leaks in the cabinet and keeps them out of sight and gives me more space to play with in the cabinet.

All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Wisey.

Thanks, I will take a look at those. I bought some of the velcro tape from B&Q and things fell off using that, but I guess these are probably a stronger glue if you have had success.

The only real way is to screw them to the inside of the cabinet, as shown here on both sides of the cabinet. The one on the left is 4 off individual switchable so I can turn CO2, pumps and heater during water change.
3daae9ba-1c38-42f8-895d-de9ba96fb1dc_zps5f0147a5.jpg

You will need to screw two round head screws into the sides to clip the extension leads onto.

Mark the location holes from back on extension lead onto a piece of paper and use that as a template for your screw holes. I used a 2 mm drill, by hand to drill pilot holes (quite hard) before I remembered I had a right angle drill attachment.:oops:

Hi Ian, yeah, I did that part last night, attached my two extension blocks with the screw mountings as the velcro I tried before came off. The items I have an abundance of now are the 12 volt adapaters, like a laptop power supply block, I have one for the Eheim, another for the TMC Aquaray and I am running out of cabinet wall space as I intend to mount a dosing pump in there at some point and they also don't have the screw holes in the back of them.

I ordered two USB extension cables for the AquaRay last night, so I think I am going to go ahead with the plan to mount all these blocks on the outside rear panel of the cabinet and keep the real estate inside available for kit like the dosing pumps, timers and other controllers. I have the Pro 3E 600T in the cabinet and its a monster, especially plumbing it with double taps to allow me to do easy water changes and clean the UP atomiser. I'll stick a picture up over the weekend.

I'll take a pic for you later, but basically my tank has its back against a wall, I have the power block between the wall and the of the stand, the controller just hangs over the edge of the hole in the back of the TMC cabinet.

Back