• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External pump

Tonytony

Hi
Anyone knows a cheap external pump that would increase my filter flow. Currently I have a terta ex700 and would like extra flow...eheim does some very good ones but a little pricey...
Thanks for advices

what size is your tank?

I am running an AquaManta EFX 1500 U on my Rio 400 they cost £190 new (£175 without the UV) and has really good output. Smaller ones start from about £80 new

You really don't want to go cheap when buying an external filter. Everything else, heaters, lights, pumps, is fine. But not on the one thing that stands between having a tank full of water all over your floor.

Hi...
I do have an external filter tetra ex700..but lack of output flow..my thinking would be to add an external pump to the outlet of filter tunbling..I wouldnt run the filter but let the more powerful pump do the job...I was thingking to an eheim universal external pump rated at 1000 lph up..but it is a little pricey...would anyone know a cheaper one?

I'd not recommend running a more powerful pump through an external, if you want more flow put it on another loop, unless you have big issues with head of water between the pump and the tank. If you overpower a filter then you risk issues with the pump driving harder than the flow through the filter chambers can handle, might just cause bypassing in the filter, might throttle things back and damage the filter or the pump.

If it's cheap you're after than I have some from all pond solutions that do an acceptable job. They're a little noisy though, they're also not that easy on the old electricity, but then neither are the eheims.

I'd normally have recommended a powerhead/wavemaker if you just want flow, but I'm guessing there's a reason you asked for external.

Hi..thanks for answers..two reasons I would like external..one is cosmetic purpose and two I have a sera 500 co2 diffusor that would needd an extra fllow to turn at full and disolve correctly co2..the external pump would then be beetween filter out and diffusor in... athe eheims universal pumps are what I would need..but I the one I need arround 100 euros...I was thinking for something cheaper... for info..my filter is loaded with plastic moss and some natural sponges...I will run the filter without impeler...

Any link to an external pump?...I gave gard time surging net for one

As stated you shouldn't run too pumps in series. One will always overpower the other leading to issues,usually leading to very short life of one or the other pumps.

Also people have tried running external filters with the filter pump off and a bigger external pump. Again this has caused issues as the external filter is rated for a certain flow rate and trying to push more through (case in point was some one with a 500lph filter and a 1000lph pump) caused cavitation when pump was on output of filter as pump could not get enough flow through the filter. Also it collapsed all the sponges in the filter which then blocked quicker causing more pump issues. When the pump was placed on the input to the filter, the pump fouled quickly as well as sponges collapsing. Going back to using the filters internal 500lph there were none of the above issues.

Dragging up an old thread, sorry!

Is it feasible to tee off the filter intake and run a separate loop through an external pump to a spraybar just to get flow into dead areas?
I have some dead areas in my 60p that I just can't get enough flow through, bad scaping on my part. I don't want to add another intake unless I have too

Back