• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

separating substrate in layers

Mic-F

Seedling
Help needed Please :)
For my second hand Juwel Vision 180
2x T8 tubes with reflectors
External filter Fluval 306

I plan on using Tescos cat litter (Moler clay) & 6grams Osmocoat per foot caped off with 1 inch of argos play sand as a substrate

But how do i keep them separate ? (greenhouse shading looks like small nylon ribs or would garden weed control fabric work looks like black felt but I'm told it's plastic )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ water ;)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> play sand
------------------------------------- separated sheet of some sort ?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< moler clay with osmocoat

Many thanks for any help ;)
Mic

Simple solutions are generally better. Why are you set on clay and sand? Both can be used alone

Hi Rahms thanks for replying
I want the clay for the plants :)
And the wife wants the nice looking sand for her Corydoras (not bought them yet)

If it was up to the wife it would be all plastic plants :(

I just want a good substrate for plant roots and the play sand is really fine even after a extremely good wash to get the finest sand out,
I don't really want to go over 1inch (25mm) incase of compacting of the sand layer

Mic

Could you not have a sand area at the front, so that it's full depth, and then clay in the rest of the tank? Corydoras will like molar clay, too. And, finally, plants can do fine in sand alone, and you don't need to worry about compacting since the root growth will move it about. I can understand people using fertile soil underlayers but I just don't see the benefit of clay

That weed fabric stuff looks like it works by preventing plants getting through, which defeats the point of your base layer. You can use some sort of mesh separator but its only going to prevent the molar clay coming up: sand will still end up below since its similar in size to the plant roots and you won't want to be blocking those. If you use a mesh, replanting can be a PITA because the roots will attach to it pretty strongly.

Cheers Rahms ;)
Sand at the front & molar clay at the back sounds great thank you
Now why didn't i think of that lol

Like you say keep it simple

Mic

well then, now you just have to make a journal to keep us updated :thumbup:

I'll work on a journal :thumbup:
But at the moment I'm still in the ordering & planning stage ;)

Back