• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What happened to the REAL Elataine hydropiper?

Henry

I've been looking for a carpeting plant to replace my Glossostigma elatinoides after repeated failure, even with massive flow and CO2. After reading about E. hydropiper, I went onto one of the site's sponsors to order some, expecting to find a plant that resembled a smaller version of Glosso, as shown in this thread:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/elatine-hydropiper-carpet.33087/

The sponsors' websites, however, all show something that looks exactly like H. callitrichoides. I'm aware the name has been changed to Micranthemum sp. "Monte Carlo", but I don't see how this has drastically changed the shape of the leaf!

Can somebody explain what's going on?

When tropica first released invitro Monte Carlo it was sold under E.hydropier think this is where the confusion stems from, maybe worth messaging freshwater shrimp sponsor they had some E.hydropier for sale. Ime hydropier is harder to grow than glosso,HC and most other popular carpet plants if your looking for something easier I would go with Monte Carlo.

I see. I'm after rapid growth, I think I'll just go for it. Shame the real E. hydropiper is a pain, as it's a lovely little plant.

True Elatine hydropiper is IMO absolutely amongst the most difficult carpeting plants.
Glossostigma are known to give a lot of people problems - Hemianthus 'Cuba' is also giving people problems, but far less in number.
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' is a little larger in appearance, than Hem. 'Cuba', but has the same way of growing.......and is defenitely much more tolerant of parametres - thereby causing less people problems. Biggest advantage is, 'Monte Carlo' can tolerate "less well distribution" of CO2, than most others.
As a side note, Echinodorus tenellus 'green' (now re-named Helanthium tenellum parvulus) is one of the most tolerant carpeting plants, of all.
- hope this is helpfull.

Thanks Mick. I've ordered myself some M. sp "monte carlo". This tank is going to be dismantled in May, so I'll be glad to have something that will carpet in a short space of time.

I'm sure Clive would tell me my distribution or light level is to blame, but with huge amounts of CO2, relatively low light, and over 20x turnover from a spraybar, I think I've given up on Glossostigma for now.

This is why it's benefitial to know, which plants are more tolerant of "less then perfect" conditions...........;)

Hello, I'm a new member to UKAPS, joined in order to help source plants for an ongoing research project on the natural control of Hydrocotyle ranunculoides. We've been trying to source Elatine hydropiper for a while without any luck and wondered if anyone could supply some plantlets or suggest a potential commercial seller. We've been stung by the Micranthemum vs. Elatine confusion previously...many thanks in advance for any assistance the forum can provide!

Back