• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learning plant names

mungo

Seedling
I'm having a hard time matching the names of even common plants to how they look. I've just discovered the 'Inspiration' section on the Tropica site, which is great as it provides a number of scapes and identifies each plant.

Can anyone recommend any other similar reference (website or maybe book), which will help me identify the common plants which y'all are talking about, without overloading me with 1,001 species which I'm unlikely to ever come across in my LFS?

If you have the will you can do your own book :) Save a picture identifying the plant and her needs.

I started a book a few years ago and it´s being updated. In the book i´m writing my own experience with each plant and photos taken by myself of how they grow and different look.

Even Regarding the classification in Easy-Medium-Advanced, you´ll find some they consider Easy but for you maybe it´s Advanced and the oposite to.

Cause you´ll find and need to understand to, that Tropica and others gives you some general guidelines or indications from their own experience.
The rest is up to us! :) It is difficult to give simple rules to a quite complex subject such as plants.

Some first pages of my book :)

2mdl8vm.jpg

2gy38t1.jpg

s12hrq.jpg

Big hug

Like Paulo says : Learning by doing..........we were all beginners once (and we all have a lot more to learn). That is part of the fun !!

Thanks all of you. Some good thoughts, and Paulo, I love your book!

I think my problem is that I haven't got a tank yet, so I've been geeking out trying to find the best value glass box. I'll just take things easy, spend some time finding plants I fancy trying, and when the perfect tank comes along, learn by doing. The best way..

I'm the exact same here.. But I have tanks already.. I buy plants that look the part bang them in some die some live and some grow beards.. Jeez it's not easy :) I just want to create a truly stunning tank .. Good luck with your venture it is truly fun, games, exciting and frustrating at times:)
O I nearly forgot "expensive " too :)

Back