• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another user with CO2 Issues

Hi Julian,
Are you using TMC Mini 400's also? Mine are set at 40% currently, above that was when i started experiencing algea. They are sat lower now also which seems to have helped a lot. My main issue with the whole lights debate is that my light output and how I decribe that to other forum members is totally subjective. I cant give a figure and so stating percentages isnt that helpful.....how dim is actually dim? As soon as i cranked my lights up I got good resuits and that was long after id already improved the flow pattern and CO2 injection method. It was the last piece of the puzzle.

I think orignall my flow was just simply too low. When i started the tank I had an Eheim 250T rated at 950L/H and now I have an Eheim 450 rated at 1650L/H. Obviously neither of them realistically output this but im able to pack the new filter with media and still get superb flow to all areas of the tank. Although I never ran this new filter on the old glass lily pipes I cant really comment on how good the flow would have been then but the current spray bar system seems very effective. Cegs general tips have certainly improved my tank no-end.

Im still not 100% happy. Get a complete pH point drop is a struggle and getting the balance between good CO2 and not gassing myself is my issue. Ive checked for CO2 leaks several times with no success,

Im really chuffed with the substrate, the Stauro roots much better in it then the sharper chipped rock substrate from JBL. Ive stuck some root tabs in also to make up for any shortfalls in my EI dosing method. They seem to benefit from it anyway, im using the TMC Plugs.

830b105290ae66317288aef486bb704f.jpg

99b5fa440aff4ebb5c512f37d0c6e2e8.jpg
372606642eee56e96580a15c69ec7c45.jpg
9ae7da0108220683bba53cd8f0616e23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Julian,
Are you using TMC Mini 400's also? Mine are set at 40% currently, above that was when i started experiencing algea. They are sat lower now also which seems to have helped a lot. My main issue with the whole lights debate is that my light output and how I decribe that to other forum members is totally subjective. I cant give a figure and so stating percentages isnt that helpful.....how dim is actually dim? As soon as i cranked my lights up I got good resuits and that was long after id already improved the flow pattern and CO2 injection method. It was the last piece of the puzzle.

I think orignall my flow was just simply too low. When i started the tank I had an Eheim 250T rated at 950L/H and now I have an Eheim 450 rated at 1650L/H. Obviously neither of them realistically output this but im able to pack the new filter with media and still get superb flow to all areas of the tank. Although I never ran this new filter on the old glass lily pipes I cant really comment on how good the flow would have been then but the current spray bar system seems very effective. Cegs general tips have certainly improved my tank no-end.

Im still not 100% happy. Get a complete pH point drop is a struggle and getting the balance between good CO2 and not gassing myself is my issue. Ive checked for CO2 leaks several times with no success,

Im really chuffed with the substrate, the Stauro roots much better in it then the sharper chipped rock substrate from JBL. Ive stuck some root tabs in also to make up for any shortfalls in my EI dosing method. They seem to benefit from it anyway, im using the TMC Plugs.

Yeah I've got 2 Mini 400's, set at 45%. I think this is possibly too much but I'm not growing any algae so I'll leave it be for now.

I think my leggy glosso is simply my flow configuration, I dont think it's getting enough contact time with the CO2 bubbles. My lilly pipe is directing flow sideways rather than across the front as Ceg advises. I'm hoping that I can get away with this because my tank is 80 litres and my filter is a Fluval 306 (rated for 300L tanks I believe). I'm going to persist for now, I think trimming it will help it grow more horizontal, then I'm going to upgrade to a glass spray bar when I get the money. The leggy glosso is actually a good thing, it makes it very easy to replant and I have lots of 'bald' patches where I had some die-back.

A few new pics including some new stauro Porto Velho and dosing pumps. All growing in well and lights down to 38% each.

5b9b1bd862c18e3a8048b3273fe45861.jpg

3a0c6c13fc86b9e0c3630e9db5cfb62e.jpg

4bdf499bbf85f5211a07250163febb22.jpg

94ebce45971537d2f3dc6cf1fa644405.jpg

Yes very, it's really taken off now. Still not 100% what I did but turning the lights up seemed to help!

The addition of a third light as mentioned.

I wanted to try out a spare fluorescent light I had lying around and also equal out the spread of light throughout the tank.

Cool, I'd be out of buying those tiles if they couldn't manage s spread in tank that size.

I'm sure they'd be capable but I added the central light as a test and I've seen big improvements ever since.

I'm sure they'd be capable but I added the central light as a test and I've seen big improvements ever since.

And explain that Eh? Lol. Glad there had been improvement, I've had loads of melt, keeping the plant shops in business lol.

Back