• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Do you keep them in the box all the time or are the one "displayed"like that all the time?
I keep them in the box until they are used to living immersed by slowly opening the lid more and more, after that period (about 3 to 4 weeks) they should be able to stay outside the box, like the one in the glass boll.

Hi all

I want to try next time a tank using WK. I've seen that most people use a stone just wrapped with Sphagnum (sometimes with some other internal vegetal fibers). I have also seen many times Amano using 2 or 3 dozens of them when scraping large tanks... But I have always wondered what happens when all this (non aquatic) material gets submersed... Will it rotten? Do they have to siphon it? I can well imagine a layer of decomposed Sphagnum and fibers as a kind of lose and dirt soil...

Jordi

It looks like ADA WB balls are made of pebbles, vegetal fibers (kind of dry herbs) wrapped in moss. Still a material that can break down in water.

Jordi

Hi all,
oasis is made to keep thing (flowers) wet/moist but plants will need some ferts, I'm not sure if it would work, but if you get water from your tank (when doing a WC) it might give the plants enough ferts.......hmmmm, worth trying....
Oasis would be ideal, it works really well for <"rooting cuttings">.

cheers Darrel

I think I've got a wabi-kusa fever....:doctor:....
20141202_173916_zpse17b029c.jpg

20141202_174015_zps8ea5e746.jpg

Those are just 1 or 2 days planted (the UG one is a few weeks now)....

Last edited:
Hi Martin

I have a clear plastic box with emersed plants in the terrace. Now the temperature goes to 12C by night and maybe 17-18C during the day. With these temperatures and the shorter photoperiod, the plants seem to have stopped growing a little bit, but I prefer it to the summer with some much grow I cannot deal with. My guess is that plants will survive without problems at these temperatures.

I also have some emersed setups on a window sill inside home, mainly moss and emersed aquatic plants but including also a WB... And they grow very well at room temperature (from 20 to 24C) but they need at this time of the year a bit of additional light to have a steady growth

Jordi

Hi Martin

I have a clear plastic box with emersed plants in the terrace. Now the temperature goes to 12C by night and maybe 17-18C during the day. With these temperatures and the shorter photoperiod, the plants seem to have stopped growing a little bit, but I prefer it to the summer with some much grow I cannot deal with. My guess is that plants will survive without problems at these temperatures.

I also have some emersed setups on a window sill inside home, mainly moss and emersed aquatic plants but including also a WB... And they grow very well at room temperature (from 20 to 24C) but they need at this time of the year a bit of additional light to have a steady growth

Jordi
Light isn't a problem as I have a lamp above them, but the temperature even indoor will drop to 7 or 8C and I don't want my WK to die on me.

Back