• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pest snails?

Pinkmummy79

I have hundreds of these fellas in my tank, they are also breeding inside my two filters.
I do have mts and a few large pink ramshorns but are these also ramshorn snails?
Anyway of reducing the population without harming my other snails?
Ta
Clive
7eafbc29c54fc6c8256a89ecbc06870a.jpg

3e59b8d2b414093d382b96d3b4382564.jpg

Short answer is you can't really. If I were you I'd remove my pet snails and then dose with eSHa Gastropex (it's shrimp safe). You should notice a reduction in the little blighters (yes they are also ramshorn snails) after a few days. A week later, do a 50% water change and dose again, this will mop up any resistant stragglers. My tanks were plagued by them and I used the belt and braces method of introducing assassins as well after a good few water changes just in case; I've not seen hide nor hair since...

P.S. Don't forget to factor the capacity of your filter in to the dosing equation and remove any absorbent media.

P.P.S. I loath those little bar stewards with a passion.

Ok cheers Troi, it may be difficult to remove all the mts and large pink ramshorns maybe better for me to do this when i strip the tank down in 2 weeks then dose, i have another home in the kitchen for the snails.
My media is just sponge and sintered glass is this ok to leave in?

'No Planaria' had the added bonus of terminating my pest snails,as well as the limpets I was really after.
Not cheap though.

Good idea Big Clown, I've often wondered about that approach. Frankly, I use chemotherapy as well just to make sure...
...nuke 'em...nuke 'em all...muahahahahaha...

Back