• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help device needed.

but we love them and dont want to get rid of them.

After watching your video in filtration and flow I would suggest reducing the lighting so you have less of a demand on co2. Crypts melt anyway when in a new set up or even just because they've been moved. If you are getting gsa then that is a sign of too much light in the balance. I don't think increasing flow/co2 distribution is fair when you have fish in the tank that won't cope with it.

After watching your video in filtration and flow I would suggest reducing the lighting so you have less of a demand on co2. Crypts melt anyway when in a new set up or even just because they've been moved. If you are getting gsa then that is a sign of too much light in the balance. I don't think increasing flow/co2 distribution is fair when you have fish in the tank that won't cope with it.

The flow is no issue for discus. They live in fast flow in the amazon as well as slow flow flooded jungle. They show no signs of stress when the flow is increased and in fact the opposite show signs of excitement and start hunting. What do you base your comments on that the fish wont cope with it?

As for the issues of the light, the crypts have grown for 4 weeks fine in this light so far as have many of the other plants. I have reduced the light intensity by 20% but don't want to reduce it too far and there by start to upset the high light demanding plants that are growing really well...

Plants aside, TBH the only things I feel sorry for in this tank are the shrimps! All the fish look so healthy and happy. I've had these discus for over 2 years so know when they are not happy!

Ok that's getting clear. But one last thing to clear.

I have reduced the intensity from 100% to 70% but is it over all light exposure or the high end light exposure. So the plants are exposed to the lights at 70% for 4 hours. But get a further 8 hours of light exposure ramping up to and from this peak figure.

So is it time exposure or intensity exposure that's the worse issue or both?

So is it time exposure or intensity exposure that's the worse issue or both?
Both.

High intensity causes issues as plants can't get enough CO2 to match the light level.

Also time exposure causes issues. My mate had a tank in his dining room, quite a big tank, using a single very old T8 tube (and dim), definitely a very very low light setup, with a few plants and fish, occasional water changes no problem, just ticked along. Then one day noticed tank was green with algae (being in dining room, room not used that often). The cause was the timer for the light had jammed on (relay contacts had welded on) and light had been on 24/7 for a while.

Ok I have reduced the lighting period from 10am til 4pm. With a 2 hour ramp @ 70% intensity

The lights come on at 10am at 1% ramp up for 2 hours to 70% from 12.00 til 4.00pm full 70% intensity then ramp down to zero by 6.00 pm. CO2 turned up slightly. extra flow to come as soon as I can make the extra pipes I need. Til then I'm just giving the tank a few taster boosts of the extra spray bar by turning it on and off for a few minutes several times through out the day. I need the extra pipes so that I can mount both spray bars at the back which will help keep the flow more circular and front to back.

Will report back if this helps rid the dreaded GSA, and as the melt came on again today for the crypts :( whether that is solved a well...

Cheers for all the advice

Bhu

Back