• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this GDA?

It is highly probable that poor distribution, combined with poor injection rate is a major contributor here. All filter outlets should point in the same direction and it would be better if they were all mounted on the back wall facing forward. You should adhere to the 10X rule. Internal filters are notoriously weak so you should remove at least half of the filter media to improve throughput and it may even be necessary to add another powerhead or two along the back wall to supplement flow. Review the thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/water-flow-in-the-planted-aquarium.1167/ for more details regarding flow/distribution.

Again, a pH profile check is the best way to analyze the CO2 dissolution effectiveness. You really need to perform this check.

Cheers,

This is a lily pipe. A nice expensive easily broken way of getting the water back into your tank.:)
easy-aqua-lilypipe-outflow.jpg.image.500x500.jpg

And yes that is algae across the back. That's where the most is.
That is symptomatic of poor CO2 distribution (along with too much light).

I made a spray bar out of PVC tube (22mm I think) to try with my 600l/hr Juwel internal filter, to try before converting my tank to high tech, as I didn't want to buy an external filter. It was a failure as flow was clearly not enough for my tank width. The flow did move across the top of the tank, but really nothing at front substrate level, put a bit of fish poo at front, it moved a bit and just settled down and plants at rear of tank hardly moved at all. For a planted high tech tank should be at least x10 flow for tank volume, so 1800litres/hour in my case, 600l/hr clear won't work.

I assume you have a Juwel 260, as 2 x 54W, you will be looking at least 2600l/hr filtration rate, the internal 1000l/hr falling hopelessly short, even with half the media removed as suggested and a powerhead.

Something like a JBL1501 (1400l/hr) or even the monster JBL1900 (1900l/hr) in conjunction with internal filter and power head are unfortunately the only way forward if you wish to remain high tech.

Also CO2 injection via glass diffuser on a tank this size won't cut it (as shown by your fine algae specimens).

I started on my 180litre with a JBL 1501 (1400l/hr) + 600l/hr internal filter and glass CO2 diffuser and it was pretty obvious I had CO2 distribution issue, patches of reoccurring algae on the glass. Main give away was putting the drop checker at various places around the tank it was blue/green at lights on time rather than lime green when placed optimally in the tank. An inline CO2 diffuser on filter outlet (and later a power head as still got blue green drop checker at bottom front left) got a lime green drop checker where ever I placed it in the tank.

I have a Rio 180 with 1000lph juwel power head plus a 1600 lhp hydor. The lights are 2 x 45w.

Placing my drop checker on the opposite side to my diffuser does give me a nice lime green colour.

I have moved my hydor to under the filter out let now, pointing towards the front, I tried moving my diffuser and managed to crack it. No way I can get one today, so while I wait for a new one I will take this opportunity to do a black out.

What diffuser do you recommend.

Ideally, at the moment I really don't want to go the external filter route.

Last edited:
What diffuser do you recommend.
I recommend the inline diffusers, but are for use with external filters (or external pumped loop).

Worth trying your new arrangement, clean the algae off the back and see if it comes back. Not convinced one can get an even flow across the whole width of the tank from two "point sources".

Cheers.

I'll put in a new diffuser on Sunday, clean and water change and report back.

The plan is to go external eventually. But I want to try and make this a bit of an success with an internal filter before making a purchase.

But I want to try and make this a bit of an success with an internal filter before making a purchase
I am not sure you can be that successful with your light level. The light level means you must have good CO2 and to get good CO2 you need good flow, namely even flow across the whole width of the tank.

Have a read of this..note the bit on flow and flow patterns.
http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=setting-up-a-higher-tech-planted-tank

Zooplus do the JBLe1501 for £149. This would be ideal for your 180l tank, along with slight spray bar extension to cover whole width of tank and internal filter gives 2400l/hr. Job done.

I extended the spray bar on my tank as it is about 20cm short and in that missing area all the tank detritus used to collect despite trying to use the internal filter to get flow in that area. Also JBK1501 is 16/22mm pipe, so putting inline CO2 diffuser is a no brainer. Job done. Wallet empty.

Food for thought. Need to convince swmbo.

But if I was to go external I'd rip out the internal.

Would a spray bar with a hydor be OK? Or hydor plus outlet from an external filter enough?

I left my internal in, as if I extended the JBL1501 spray bar across the whole width the flow might not have been sufficient. Any way below is a video of flow from JB1501.

Giving an algae free tank like this (was a while ago).
vlcsnap00003au.jpg

The JBL1501 fits perfectly in the Vision 180 cabinet as well.
Electrics_zpsac8f2a0c.jpg

Attachments

• Electrics_zpsac8f2a0c.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Electrics_zpsac8f2a0c.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 80
I have a new set up 3 weeks in no algae. Fully planted lots of shrimps are key ;) as well as high co2 injection and distribution. Also water changes to remove plant toxins and fish waste etc. Really important in new aquariums. 30% a day would be no problem to the things you want to keep. But would hinder algae.

Thanks for the replies.

So I went scouting at the lfs, the are doing the fluval 306 and 406 at a decent price. Would a 406 be good enough with my hydor?

Also do the sodastream bottles have enough pressure for an inline atomizer?

Ian, looking at ur video, what is left in the juwel internal filter?

Last edited:
Do you mean filter type stuff left or bits and bobs to the left.

I use two fine and two coarse filter foams + floss in the filter, needs cleaning at weekly water change.

Left of filter is juwel pump hanging there, outlets of my dosing pumps and big tube is fresh water in from my butt.

other wires/pipes are air line and lead to wave maker.

So ur using the internal filter plus the external?

Would a fluval 406 plus my hydor be sufficient? Or is the 406 overkill? Or eheim 2073 Or A 2075.

Last edited:
Hi Kam, have a look at aquamanta 400 filter, they deliver 1400 lph flow at a very reasonable price. The AM 400 filter runs quietly and has a good build quality. no fancy at gizmos that bump the pride up, would a farmer plough a field with a show pony, he would choose the cart horse every time! My advice is don't eat money on fancy names and marketing!
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Hi Kam, have a look at aquamanta 400 filter, they deliver 1400 lph flow at a very reasonable price. The AM 400 filter runs quietly and has a good build quality. no fancy at gizmos that bump the pride up, would a farmer plough a field with a show pony, he would choose the cart horse every time! My advice is don't eat money on fancy names and marketing!
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

I'm not to keen on the aquamanta, my sister has one and I didn't really like it. I'll probably get a fluval 406 since the eheim pro 3 won't fit in the cabinet.

I'll get an inline co2 diffuse and and external hydor heater as well.

Update so far,

on the weekend I cleaned most of the algae off, still some stubborn bits left on the rear glass. I'll deal with those next weekend.

Done a big water change, reduced lighting to one bulb and no reflector. So far so good, water looks clean and no more algae.

I have ordered a Fluval 406, inline atomizer and hydor inline heater. I plan on setting these up next weekend.

Once all is settled, I will slowly attempt to increase the lighting.

Update: Still running on one tube for 5 hours, not a spec of algae :)

I am now in the possession of a Fluval 406, Hydor ETH and inline atomiser, plan to install these over the weekend.

Sounds good :) is that an increase in flow then?

Yes it will be, currently I have the Juwel internal filter @ 1000lph (so they say) and a Hydor powerhead at 1600lph.

The Fluval will give me 1450 lph.

Another update, for anyone who is interested.

So its been over a week with the Fluval 406 installed with the inline diffuser and I am running with 2 tubes again (no reflectors).

So far not a sign of GDA. Diatoms keep popping up though.

So far so good, been moving the drop checker around the tank to make sure CO2 is getting around.

Java fern is growing nicely, elocharis mini is growing slowly but surely.

Next step will be to increase photo period to 6 hours.

Anyone have any thoughts on media for the 406. Currently I have a mixture of the Fluval bits and media from my juwel internal.

Plan is to remove the juwel media over many weeks and i was thinking of this.

4th tray - Purigen | Bio Max
3rd tray Bio Max + Filter wool | Bio Max + Filter Wool
2nd tray Carbon | Carbon
1st tray Bio foam | Bio foam

Back