• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When to start feeding

glenn farrar

Hi guys

I am around halfway into planting my tank and will finish up and fill my tank tomorrow. I am using JBL manado substrate which I now know has no nutrient content, my question is when do I start to feed my plants, do they need a rest period before feeding or am I best starting straight Away? I will be dosing the water with dry ferts and understand that at the start It is best to do water changes every other day for a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

With a new tank I usually do daily water changes for the first week, then every other day the next week, twice a week the third week, and then weekly from then on. All 50% water changes by the way.
And you should start dosing ferts from day 1; it would also not hurt to add liquid CO2 on a daily basis for the first three weeks, just to give everything the best start possible.

Hi Vinkenoog

Thanks for the speedy Reply! I am happy to do the water change regime but is it necessary to add Co2? I know it would be the best start but it is something that I did not want to be adding in the long run. If I did add the liquid co2 at the start would the plants always need it or would they be on if I stopped after the 3 weeks

Thanks again

Glenn

Hi Troi

I was planning on the low energy route my lights are definitely in the low zone so that's good to hear. By the way where in bucks are you from?

Thanks

Glenn

@Vinkenoog1977 sorry I should have explained my set up. It seems to me co2 can cause lots of issues and if possible I would like to try without it, I may try using it in the future but for a complete novice like myself I think slow and steady will be the way Forward!

Thanks for the reply

Glenn

P's I hope your plants bounce back :)

I've tried so many times to grow plants without CO2. They start well but eventually the plants start to get algae on the leaves and to recede. Even with liquid ferts they in time just fade away. I'm sure many have success with low tech but I can't grow any of the nicer plant types. Just swords and valis and like I said they end up with shabby leaves with algae. Since I started with co2 injection and daily feeds of plant ferts and liquid carbon I've had no troubles. Maybe just beginners luck but the plants are looking fantastic and all growing well. Maybe you could use some nutrient tabs to put in the substrate which last weeks at a time that was how I had best results in low tech.

Hi Bhu

Thanks for the words which incidentally pretty much echo how I am feeling about my tank at the moment! I have lost most of my plants and those that are hanging in there just don't seem too happy. I am not sure if the original quality of the plants was great as I bought a bulk bundle and am thinking that maybe some of the issue, but I am leaning toward trying co2 to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again

Glenn

Last edited:
Quality of plants has nothing to do with whether they live or die. That's always the fault of the hobbyists.
It's highly probable that you are using too much light.

Cheers,

Listen to Clive; less light (in intensity and duration; either raise the light, remove reflectors or remove bulbs, if possible; and no more than 6 hours per day) and more CO2 (other than liquid).

Edit: could you give the specs of your tank? Size/ dimensions, light source, list of plants, maybe some pics? Would help us help you!

@ceg4048 thanks for reply, as I am new to this and there is definitely something wrong I think you could be right as you know I am not using any co2 my setup is as follows

60x30x36 tank
Manado substrate
1 15w T5 running for 5 hrs per day
Jbl crystal profi i900 internal filter ( I have just purchased a fluval 305 canister)
dosing 5ml aquarium plant food dry ferts micro and macro alternate days
40% water change every other day using straight tap water to refill

Any suggestions?
@Vinkenoog1977 specs above no pics as yet as my tank is pretty shameful :oops: any suggestions would be greatly received.
I am planning to invest in some sort of co2 setup but as I have 2 young cash drains and a very tight accountant I am looking into what I can afford

Thanks again

Glenn

With the canister filter, you would be best of using an inline diffusor, but you could still use DIY Bio CO2 with that (sugar and yeast). Check out Youtube, there are plenty of instructionals on how to do that, with various options. Should not cost more than maybe 20 Euros to start up, and weekly costs would be a few cents, literally.

I will look up the inline diffuser as I have no clue what it is yet:confused:
For the co2 I was thinking of maybe getting one of those little kits with the can as I can get a TMC kit for £8.99 so not too bad for a starter. I was almost sure that my light only being on for 5 hrs would put me in the low light territory but I must be wrong.

Thanks

Glenn

Low light is more about intensity than about duration, I've found. I've also found that adding CO2, other than liquid, is never a bad thing, even if it's not a butt load, and without solenoid and all that expensive stuff.

Regarding that kit; all you really need is an empty plastic bottle with cap, some airline, a cheap air check valve, and a cigarette filter (stuff that in the airline, and put it in the tank; of you glue it to some rock, so the tip with the filter is level, point up a bit, you get some real fine bubbles!). This works best with an internal filter by the way; if you put the airline underneath the filter, so the bubbles gather underneath the filter, you get the best of both worlds; the CO2 gathers under the filter foam, so it remains exposed to the water for longer, thus being better absorbed, plus, when the bubbles reach "critical mass" they will be sucked through the filter foam, through the impeller, and out the nozzle, and so little tiny CO2 bubbles get distributed throughout the tank; win-win.

Just replace the airstone with the cigarette filter, works better in my experience.

With a cannister, it's best to let the CO2 diffuse through the inline diffuser mentioned.

There are manuals to be found on Youtube as well.

With the DIY mix, the sugar and yeast, there are ways to make a mix last 3-4 weeks. It uses a premix with gelatine.
For a 1 liter bottle:
150 ml. water
250 gr. sugar
Bring to the boil,stir and kill the heat.
Add 2 gelatin sheets, presoaked in cold water.
Add to a 1 liter plastic bottle, and let settle overnight.

Befor use:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon yeast
Mix with water
Add to bottle
Fill with water to 80% of capacity

That should run for around 3 weeks with 1 bubble per ~4 seconds (with a JBL bubble counter, for comparison), which should be plenty for a 60-80 liter aquarium.

hey vinkenoog thanks for the in depth reply some interesting set ups there, particularly impressed with the inline reactor i think i may try the diy yeast method i presume that this cant be controlled in any way? so the co2 just keeps pumping in even with the lights off? i have found a kit by tropica not sure how you link to it but it is only £14.99 so might be worth a go for starters. i am also toying with getting a complete sodastream set up from a place called co2 art a bit more expensive at £77.99 but that does include a regulator with solenoid, an adapter for the sodastream bottle, piping, bubble counter with check valve, a bazooka atomizer and a drop checker so not too bad just gotta convince the mrs o_O again thanks for the reply given me lots to think about

Yeah, that goes 24/7, even though a (3-way) solenoid can be used to shut it off at lights out, I'm not that bothered, only in my bigger tanks, where I introduce more CO2 than in my nanos, relatively speaking, do I use something to counteract the CO2 at lights out,via a cheap air pump on a timer. For me, it's a case of simple economics; I'm running 9 tanks, so 9 pressurised and solenoid systems would get a bit overly expensive, and so far, it's working just as good as expensive pressurised systems. Takes a bit of trial and error in regards to how much yeast to use for the desired amount of CO2 being produced, but hey, turning a knob on a regulator, or adding a bit more yeast to a bottle, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference as far as maintenance and time is concerned.

Good luck with the Mrs.!

Back