• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50 % Water Changes using Hot and Cold Water?

REDSTEVEO

Hi All,

Sorry if this has already been answered, I have looked through loads of threads and some are quite old.

Now that I have got my 400 liter tank up and running I have been reviewing threads on water changes, especially 50% water changes. 200 litres of new water is a lot, obviously just using the cold tap this is going to drop the temperature considerably causing all kinds of stress and hassle for the plants and the fish, and then me if the fish kark it.

Am I right in thinking it is okay if you have got a mixer tap in your kitchen you can adjust the water temperature with a mixture of hot and cold water so as not to cause the temperature in the tank to plummet; and the use of hot water will not harm the plants or fish. I have a combination boiler which heats the water instantly as opposed to being held in an immersion heater storage tank.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, plenty do what youve mentioned. Tap water conditioner/ declorinator added check temp off you go.:) I prefer boiling a kettle then adding to a five gallon drum. when I used cold tap water and I was in a hurry. Then I moved to just dropping a heater in the drum and an air pump over night in the winter.( air pump gets rid of chlorine.) now I use ro for our crs and mineralisation is nessasary. There's some goid threads on using rain water from the garden butt.

Sorry for invading your thread........This is the lengths I've gone to for water changes :D a purpose built trolly. I just hook the crook on then......... Go off trying to multi task and forget I'm filling the tank.:( saves the worn out shoulders and disturbing the substrate tipping drums.
uhu9etys.jpg

Am I right in thinking it is okay if you have got a mixer tap in your kitchen you can adjust the water temperature with a mixture of hot and cold water so as not to cause the temperature in the tank to plummet; and the use of hot water will not harm the plants or fish
Yes. Do this and get on with it mate. Water changes should not have to be rocket science.

Cheers,

Exactly, that's what I used to do when I did water changes in my 200l. Just a thought, but can you set the temp on your boiler to that in your fish tank? Being a combi an' all, it'd make life even easier?

Exactly, that's what I used to do when I did water changes in my 200l. Just a thought, but can you set the temp on your boiler to that in your fish tank? Being a combi an' all, it'd make life even easier?
or use a themal shower mixer ? on my 300 ltr i do 50 per cent water changes using cold water via a hma filter it drops the temp 2 to 3 degs and my discus / plants seem happy enough i do have 400 watts of heater in the tank that brings the temp up within an hour or so :)

When i had my 6 footer i used a mixer tap attachment for a hosepipe.
Got the temperature close ish (tested by running into a bucket) and dumped the dechlorinator in then let the hose do the work.

Me personally i never care with the temperature drop throught water changes. In nature big temperature swings happen quite often and can be the trigger for spawning. (a few times a year i "rinse: the tank with cold water straight from the tap, meaning i put the garden hose in the filter and let it run for a few hours, my tank is 1500 liter but a few hours of tap water changes app all the water, i get a nice cold fizzy tank and the fish never mind, in fact they seem to, like it)

One thing I will throw in there, and I don't know if it's the same for every hot water system, but when I've used hot water before the tds is a lot higher out of the hot tap than that of the cold. If your not worried about tds then that's fine, but without knowing what fish etc you have I don't know
If this information will be useful to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm the plot thickens... lol
Anyway tbh I think personally I will take Ceg's advice and just get on with it, using the mixer tap to achieve approx temperature.

That's concerning, I wonder what causes that, anyone got a theory?

TDS meters are normally set to compensate for temperature changes. However, if you've got one of these that is not, then the higher the temperature, the higher the TDS. This is totally normal but it doesn't alter the "real" TDS when both tabs are tested at the same temperature.

Back