• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plant is this?

Hi. I was after some eleocharis acicularis so went to pets at home today and got something called eleocharis sp. (according to the tropica label). I tried to google it but it looks like i just can't find it. It only shows me pictures of eleocharis parvula sp. mini but nothing like eleocharis sp. is it possible that I got what I wanted (eleochalris acicularis)? Thanks

Sorry. My picture doesn't work for some reason, I'll post it when back on my PC.
Photo%2014-09-2014%2015%2012%2048.jpg

a>

Last edited:
Tropica sell acicularis so id doubt this is what you have.
Id say either pavula or palastris are the likely options.
If you can get a picture of the emersed growth up it may help identify it :)

The Tropica Eleocharis sp. is NOT Eleocharis montevidensis. DNA doesn't match !!! Therefore labelled only "sp." - we don't have an ID.
There are really a lot of tall Eleocharis, and very few are DNA- sequensed.........this one is not. Flowers and "fruit" is therefore needed, to maybe get a positive ID - and this one was chosen amongst several other similar, because it doesn't flower in production. But we're working on the flowers and ID.

You're very welcome :thumbup:
This is why we're at this forum.......

Now, that we're at it ..........can I please ask, what info from Tropicait is, you don't even understand, and why ??? ( I might learn something ;) )

Mick, may I ask about similar species, it's called sp. Xingu here in Ukraine. Also very tall plant. I wonder if you know it, maybe it has different names.

Sent via Tapatalk

To be honest.......I'm allways very sceptic to the names on commercially provided plants. The ones with "popular"names, even more so !!!
More often, than not, the ID is done by someone just looking at a plant and some pictures - comparing how leaves "match". True ID require flowers !!
- As for the Eleocharis, there are numerous "varieties" going around in the hobby - most by the name of the place, they were found ( like it is with the Bucephalandra's !! ).
Eleocharis montevidensis is DNA sequensed, which is why it can be "ruled out/in" in a comparative DNA test. I can't remember if 'Xingu' is, too. The fact that it's named with ' around name, should be to tell, it's not a species-name...........but rules are one thing - practise often another !!
I think I tested the 'Xingu', actually, in the group of tall Eleocharis, I compared. And I think it had a bad habit of going generative (flower) in production, which is a negative feature, commercially.

Basically, what I'm saying is: some of the name-varieties could actually very well be the same species.

You're very welcome :thumbup:
This is why we're at this forum.......

Now, that we're at it ..........can I please ask, what info from Tropicait is, you don't even understand, and why ??? ( I might learn something ;) )

Tropica gave me name + ID of the plant and when I found a whole description online on tropica website it's not in English, that's why I couldn't understand.

Tropica gave me name + ID of the plant and when I found a whole description online on tropica website it's not in English, that's why I couldn't understand.
Like Tim says: Tropica site is available in english. I'm sorry, if you were not told.....but the little flags on top of opening page are usually self explaining.
- I hope you now have got the short info, available there - and that it's usefull to you :)

Back