• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to safely add fish?

Jaap

Hi

Now that my plants are growing well i would like to add fish and shrimp at some point. I am concerned that there might be too much co2 which will be lethal to livestock but how will i know from before?

Thanks

I added mine long before co2 comes on then watched the tank just in case they showed signs of distress, i was ready to use an airstone, water change, increased surface agitation and turn co2 down. You can put a drop checker in the tank for a few days and if it turns yellow or yellow/green then there is good chance theres too much co2 for fish.

I've read your various threads and think you should stop increasing your lighting until your livestock is added, maybe even reduce it a little, then if you do need to turn co2 down then your plants will suffer less and it should be easier to find the right balance.
I'm guessing but I think you might have too much co2 at the moment because my ph drop was 1.2 when i added mine but your KH is quite a bit higher than mine

So add a dc and see the colour and maybe add a fish and observe its behaviour? I still think it's a bad thing to do though....

The pH drop wont bother them, just make sure you have plenty surface agitation and be at the tank when the CO2 comes on (and be there for the next few hours).
The ph swing won't harm them but the amount of co2 might
So add a dc and see the colour and maybe add a fish and observe its behaviour? I still think it's a bad thing to do though....

Adding a fish to a tank with an unknown high level of co2 is cruel and would result in death
Thats why I add fish before the co2 comes on, so it is at its lowest level and safe for fish then i can monitor the fish and ph when co2 comes on and this gives me a '"rough" idea' of the max ph/co2 my fish can take and i can adjust my ph profile and lights to suit. It also allows me turn off co2 if it is too high
Shrimp are not good for this. when they get too much co2 they whizz round and jump out, if they cant get out they lie on back/side and die, its a very fine line between happy and dead

The day I buy new fish I don't switch the CO2 and lights. This way fish can get used to the new environment.

Jordi

Back