• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

_DSC3150_zps3f2107bc.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1396274663][/DOUBLEPOST]
_DSC3153_zpsa8d1f921.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1396274695][/DOUBLEPOST]
_DSC3150_zps3f2107bc.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1396274744][/DOUBLEPOST]rotala is not thriving, the new tunze co2 reactor is working v well !

Sorry to hear that George, hope you're on the mend. Your tank was looking nice as it grew in,hopefully you can get it back on track.

thought id give a run down of the test kits I have
dkh 4.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
what else would be good to test for, also trying to find a good photo sharing website so I can post pictures

I wouldn't worry about any of that with a planted tank George. Just concentrate on cleanliness, flow and distribution of CO2. :)

I use Post image George, I don't know how good it is exactly but it's free and you don't need to sign up, I'm happy with it so far.

As for your parameters, if you feel you need to know go for it but from what more experienced members than me have said it's not too important. Maybe doing a ph profile to check your CO2 would be more beneficial.

well, im struggling to keep plants alive, so I WOULD say parameters were important

Not much point in water parameters if it's the same old water........decent water changes are essential/mandatory. Think how often the water is changed in even the slowest moving stream. Now think of a stagnant pond........

If your struggling to grow plants maybe try lotech and then add CO2 later? It's much easier to start with

well ok, yea lo tech has always seemed appealing, and I agree it is probably easier, but I have everything up and running, co 2 and ferts.

I change 25 percent 3 to 1 ro twice a week and fertilize ei, I should have a jungle but hey, I am cursed

Give us a breakdown of the tank - photoperiod (ibc light wattage & distance from water), CO2 period (inc drop checker colour), flow in the tank (spraybar etc?)

The 106 is only 550lph under 0 head (for tanks up to 100l according to fluval) Earlier you said you had the 206 with 780lph.

Neither will provide sufficient movement of water in a CO2 injected 120l tank. You need flow to mix your added CO2 or else you're just making fizzy water where the gas escapes before doing the job you injected it for in the first place. In essence you may have been providing ideal circumstance algae by having no real CO2, otherwise know as lo tech, and thus the photoperiod (time & wattage) is too much.

A more powerful filter would be my first port of call. A powerhead powered spraybar along the back might help or a decent powerhead.

Once your CO2 is reaching the plants they can use the light to outcompete the algae and off you go!

Last edited:
ok, that's very helpful, so what would be my next port of call, a more powerful filter or a powerhead ?

I have a tunze diffusor that acts as a powerhead...... kinda

Back