• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are fish bothered about algae?

JRPW

Seedling
Having a bout of brown hair algae due to irregular CO2 levels, but was wondering whether fish were bothered about it?

I suppose if the algae were a symptom of problems with water quality and that would bother them, thoughts?

Many Thanks
James

Thanks Martin!

Yeah that would make sense, I suppose controlling algae in a tank is all for us humans who don't like the sight of it :D

Hi all,
I suppose if the algae were a symptom of problems with water quality and that would bother them, thoughts?
As long as their is some light, nearly all natural aquatic environments will have some amount of biofilm. We tend not to like "algae", but that is a purely personal preference.

"Algae" will have a similar positive effect on water quality to any other plant.

This is a picture of Tonina fluviatilis growing in Venezuela, because of the presence of Tonina we know it is a nutrient poor acid habitat, but you could really argue that it is a picture of a filamentous green algae with incidental plant.

Tonina%20fluviatilis%20IMG_2014%20cw.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back