• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Above Ground pond

What exactly are you thinking of having?

Its just that round is nice but harder to build than anything with corners, also installing a liner will be "interesting"
If you really want round you would be better off buying a pre made round pool.

I'm doin it for some years now :) and i realy love it..
These pictures are from last year. This year i made something different went ADA on it, still starting up.

kkwldaB.jpg

unS6Bxb.jpg

ONvXayr.jpg

This is that small Lobelia Cardinalis you know from the aquarium :)
q4XKpxJ.jpg

dRyC7JK.jpg

v49LNbE.jpg

If you don't want to batlle algea you need to put some Helofytes in there like Iris pseudacorus. If you do that the rest will be piece of cake.
If you keep fish, keep temps in check in summer time, above ground ponts like to get hot.. But goldfish are quit hardy and stay happy any other (cold water) species than carp will perish quickly, they cant stand the heat.

Last edited:
I only use inert poreus substrate, even for the nymphea's and feed them with small clay firt balls.. Never ever use dirt or any other organic soil. If you do that the chances of getting a stinky trouble mess is +/- 99%. :) This year im going to experiment without pots and other plants, not totaly sure yet what i want. Sometimes depends on the plants ideal (depht) zone area it better to use pots.

And yes it's in mid day sun, there for the Helofyte need to keep the algea out. And lots of fresh water change as cooling when it gets hot. You realy need to check on a daily basis and keep litter out of there. Falling litter will trash a pont like this in days. Its just an aquarium without glass. I filtered it the same with bioball and cotton, change the filter cotton every 3 to 4 days. Outside it gets dirty, birds poop in it, leaves are falling etc etc..

Last year was jungle style bath tub.. You can do funny things with above ground ponts this year i wentOmano Ado Imino bonsai style bath tub.. lol

0IUNDtc.jpg

The free willy manoeuvre..
idfsdKF.jpg

Formation flight..
uV1CSy8.jpg

These Goldfish i got as tiny youngsters, they are 6 years old now. They realy are funny and quite cuddly.

Again the free willy Manoeuvre as they studied but this time with obstacle.
GarcyaL.jpg

s1rGc4J.jpg

But this is still work in progress, the growing didnt realy started yet. :)

Yes, actualy you kinda have to, all plants are somewhat winter hardy, but will die off after the fall and roots will rot away. So even if the winter is soft, you got to do a major cleanup after each summer. And in all those years i only had 1 winter soft enough to keep the fish outside. But when it starts to freeze to much i realy have to get them in. So im always prepared for that. I always start a tank up inside on time for the fish, so they have a warm welcome inside the house for the winter if needed. If you do this in a region where there is cold winter, you need to prepare to take care..
Imagine - 12 celcius, what do you think happens to the tub?

Just saying, minus 5 for a week is also enough. It's above ground after all.. You're Dutch as well? :)

Back