• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatoms and EI

Jaap

Hi,

When I have no fish or shrimp in the tank and I dose EI why do I get diatoms? I don't need to clean my filter do I?

Thanks

Its probably the immature sediment. Is there a problem if I fill in the tank with tap water without using dechlorinator?

Also how many days for the sediment to mature?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You don't need the dechlorinator, Some don't even use the stuff with livestock while others swear by it.

It can take many months for the tank to mature but I usually find that if I follow Clives advice re CO2 distribution, ferts and lighting the diatoms fade within 6 to 8 weeks. Sometimes sooner.

So if I do everyday water changes for a week will it help? Will it help both on diatoms and BGA?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I first set mine up I did water changes every day for a month. I still do around 50% water changes twice a week and fortunately have none of the gremlins I used to get on occasions when my tanks weren't kept so clean. It will definitely help Diatoms and Algae.:thumbup:

Harry.

Back