• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Ferts should I be Using

Gill

Which Ferts should I be Using and how much for the 1500.
I still have some of the TPN from @Stid00 and just add a big glug each week after each water change.
Can I just order another 5L jug of this or is there a better more affordable option.
I do remember loosing shrimp in the past using TPN, but haven't really noticed in this one.
Cheers

I still have some of the TPN
I take that to mean Tropica Premium Nutrition ? Thats the one without Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Which means, basically just K and traces.

If you get N and P from other sources, I would just follow the dosing recommendation on the bottle - 6 ml per 50 L per week. With a high plant mass perhaps more.
I do remember loosing shrimp in the past using TPN
That seems less likely to be the cause unless you grossly overdosed (5-6 times recommended dosing) and got a lethal level of Copper (Cu) buildup (shrimps are very sensitive to Cu and to a lesser extent Zn).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I take that to mean Tropica Premium Nutrition ? Thats the one without Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Which means, basically just K and traces.

If you get N and P from other sources, I would just follow the dosing recommendation on the bottle - 6 ml per 50 L per week. With a high plant mass perhaps more.

That seems less likely to be the cause unless you grossly overdosed (5-6 times recommended dosing) and got a lethal level of Copper (Cu) buildup (shrimps are very sensitive to Cu and to a lesser extent Zn).

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers,
I will have a look and see what's best to fill the N&P gap.
My Math's is terrible, so for 500L would that be 50ml per week. Plant mass is now Dense filled with loads of Swords and Vallisernia types Will have a browse on eBay and see what 5L tubs are available.

Yeah I think it was when it 1st came out, And Copper levels were a higher concentration. And I ended up OD a Nano.

My Math's is terrible, so for 500L would that be 50ml per week. Plant mass is now Dense filled with loads of Swords and Vallisernia types Will have a browse on eBay and see what 5L tubs are available.
For a 500 L tank the Tropica recommended dosing will then be 60 ml per week.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Cheers,
Michael
Actually sorry work iGel didn't expand the TPN you mentioned it isn't the tropica one it's an dark apple green. I'll check the label, when I remember later

Its actually TNC

Attachments

• 20240503_062001.jpg
    20240503_062001.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 19
I use this and think this is a good All in one, l imagine it's similar to Tropica Specalised in that it contains all essential nutrients, My low tech aquariums l just add at weekly water change weekly. No difficult plants but the Amazon Swords are 15inches in sand no root tablets,l do add a bit more than rec. dosage based on plant health and growth

I use this and think this is a good All in one, l imagine it's similar to Tropica Specalised in that it contains all essential nutrients, My low tech aquariums l just add at weekly water change weekly. No difficult plants but the Amazon Swords are 15inches in sand no root tablets,l do add a bit more than rec. dosage based on plant health and growth
Thanks for the Info. I will start dosing at recommended amount and see what happens. As I'm just adding a big glue of it.
I'll order this one again

If I were using the Tropica one at 50 ml a week, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the tank filled with water!!
TNC is the good stuff!

Hi all,
If I were using the Tropica one at 50 ml a week, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep the tank filled with water!!
Honestly dry salts are the answer for larger volume tanks, it really is a "no-brainer" - <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

You can argue about aesthetics etc with lights and filters, but with fertilisers every potassium (K+) (or nitrate (NO3-) etc) is the same as every other one. <"Ions don't "know" what salt they came from">, or how much that fertiliser cost and it is the same for plants, they don't preferentially take up ions from ADA or Seachem's premium fertiliser, compared to the ions from <"Miracle Gro"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Honestly dry salts are the answer for larger volume tanks, it really is a "no-brainer" - <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

You can argue about aesthetics etc with lights and filters, but with fertilisers every potassium (K+) (or nitrate (NO3-) etc) is the same as every other one. <"Ions don't "know" what salt they came from">, or how much that fertiliser cost and it is the same for plants, they don't preferentially take up ions from ADA or Seachem's premium fertiliser, compared to the ions from <"Miracle Gro"> etc.

cheers Darrel

I need this dumbed Down, as I dont understand Dry Ferts at all @dw1305 .

Back